MENTHOL AND WINTERGREEN VAPOUR RUB
Active substance(s): CAJUPUT OIL / CAMPHOR / CINEOLE / MENTHOL / METHYL SALICYLATE
MENTHOL AND WINTERGREEN VAPOUR RUB
(Cajuput Oil, Camphor, Cineole, Menthol and Methyl Salicylate)
Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to use Menthol and
Wintergreen Vapour Rub carefully to get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
• You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effect not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub is and what it is used for
2. Before you use Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub
3. How to use Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub
6. Further information
1. WHAT MENTHOL AND WINTERGREEN VAPOUR
RUB IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
The name of your medicine is Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub.
It contains the active ingredients cajuput oil, camphor, cineole, menthol and methyl
salicylate. The properties of the five active constituents when applied externally are as
• Menthol enlarges the blood vessels, causing increase in blood flow to the skin area and
sensation of coldness followed by an pain killer effect.
• Camphor increase blood circulation and produces redness to the skin and helps to relieve
• Cineole is a rubefacient (increase blood circulation and produce redness to the skin).
• Cajuput oil is a stimulant (enhance alertness, awareness or wakefulness) and mild
rubefacient (increase blood circulation).
• Methyl Salicylate relieves pain.
Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub is used for the symptomatic relief of muscular pain
and stiffness including rheumatic pain, fibrositis, sciatica, strains, lumbago and for the relief
of the symptoms of colds.
2. BEFORE YOU USE MENTHOL AND WINTERGREEN VAPOUR RUB
Do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients or painkillers such as aspirin,
ibuprofen and other NSAID. See section 6.
Not recommended for children under 3 months.
Take special care with Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub
For use as an inhalant
If you suffer from asthma please consult your doctor or pharmacist before use.
For use on skin
Avoid contact with eyes, mucous membrane (e.g. mouth, vagina, inside of nose etc.) or
If symptoms persist or worsen after two weeks, please consult your doctor.
Consult your doctor before use if you are pregnant, breast-feeding, asthmatic or on any
Taking other medicines
Please consult your pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines,
including medicines obtained without prescription. Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub
may react with other medicines like Warfarin (used to treat blood clots), Aspirin (used to thin
the blood) and other products.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Please consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or
breast-feeding before using this medicine.
3. HOW TO USE MENTHOL AND WINTERGREEN
For external use only.
Adults, the Elderly and Children: Use as directed, two to three times daily.
If you accidentally swallow or use more Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub than
you should please consult your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Always try on a small area first.
Care should be taken in patients with sensitive skin or if used in hot weather or after a
Do not cover the skin with bandages, plasters or any other dressing.
Always wash your hands immediately after use so that you do not transfer it to sensitive
areas such as your lips or eyes. If this occurs, wash away with plenty of clean water.
Stop using Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub if you get skin irritation or other
If this product comes into contact with dressings, clothing and bedding the fabric can be
easily ignited with a naked flame. You should keep away from fire when using this
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub can cause side effects, although
not everybody gets them.
Very serious side effects – If any of the following happens, stop using Menthol and
Wintergreen Vapour Rub and tell your doctor immediately or go to the nearest hospital
• Asthma which can lead to shortness of breath, coughing, wheezing and tightness in the
• Rhinitis (swelling and irritation inside the nose)
• Inflammation of the skin (skin burns, blisters, temporary redness, burning sensation and
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any
possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the
Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/ yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can
help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE MENTHOL AND WINTERGREEN
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not store above 25° C. Keep the container tightly closed.
Do not use Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub after the expiry date which is stated on the
label. The expiry date refers to the last date of that month.
Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub should not be disposed of via wastewater or
household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of this product no longer required.
These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub contains
There are five active substances in Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour
• Cajuput Oil 2.5% v/w
• Camphor 2.5 % w/w
• Cineole 2.5% v/w
• Menthol 5% w/w
• Methyl Salicylate 15% v/w
The other ingredient is paraffin white soft.
What Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub looks like and contents of the pack
Menthol and Wintergreen Vapour Rub is a smooth homogenous off-white ointment, similar
to white petroleum jelly and comes in white polypropylene jar with white Polypropylene
screw cap (enclosed in a cardboard carton) in pack size of 500g.
Marketing Authorisation Holder:
Bell Sons and Company (Druggists) Limited
Text Revised: May 2017