LIFEPLAN ECHINACEA COLD AND FLU RELIEF TABLETS
Active substance(s): ECHINACEA PURPUREA ROOT DRY EXTRACT
ECHINACEA COLD &
FLU RELIEF TABLETS
Patient Information Leaflet
Echinacea purpurea root extract 140mg
Please read this leaflet carefully before you start
taking these tablets.
It contains some important information about
Lifeplan Echinacea Cold & Flu Relief tablets.
Keep this leaflet with the tablets. You may want to
read it again or show it to your doctor, pharmacist
or healthcare practitioner.
In this leaflet:
1. About this product and what it is used for.
2. Before you take this product.
3. How to take this product.
4. Possible side effects.
5. How to store this product.
6. Further information.
1. About this product and what it is used for:
This product is a traditional herbal medicinal product
containing Echinacea purpurea root extract.
Lifeplan Echinacea Cold & Flu Relief is a traditional
herbal medicinal product used to relieve the
symptoms associated with the common cold and
influenza type infections, based on traditional
2. Before you take this product:
This product is not suitable for children under
12 years of age.
Do not take this product if you are allergic to:
• Echinacea or products from the same plant family:
(Asteraceae/Compositae) such as daisies,
marigolds or artichokes.
• any of the other ingredients of this product. (See
section 6 for further information).
Do not take this product if you:
• are pregnant or breastfeeding
• suffer from frequent allergic reactions such as
hives (urticaria), eczema, asthma.
• suffer from the infection: tuberculosis
• suffer from connective tissue disease with
formation of clumps of cells (sarcoidosis) mainly
occurring in the lymph nodes, lungs and liver.
• suffer from auto-immune diseases such as
inflammation of the connective tissue
(collagenosis) or multiple sclerosis.
• suffer from conditions which decrease
your natural response to infection (eg HIV infection
• are on therapy to reduce your natural response to
infection (immunosuppression eg: chemotherapy or
radiotherapy for cancer; history of organ or bone
• suffer from blood disorders involving the white
blood cell system such as low white cell count due
to bone marrow disorders (agranulocytosis) or
blood cell cancer (leukemias).
• are already taking immunosuppressant medication
such as ciclosporin or methotrexate.
Take special care with this product:
• if there is a family history of allergic reactions.
• because Echinacea can trigger auto-immune
• if your condition worsens, or if you get a high fever
while using this product, or if symptoms continue for
more than 10 days, see your doctor or qualified
Taking other medicines:
Please talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are
taking other medicines including any bought without
Do not take this product if you are already taking
immunosuppressant medication such as ciclosporin
3. How to take this product:
For oral use only.
Adults, Elderly and Children over 12 years:
Swallow 1 tablet twice daily. Swallow the tablet
whole with water. Start at the first signs of a common
cold. Do not use for more than 10 days. See your doctor
or qualified healthcare practitioner if your condition
worsens, if you get a high fever while using this
product or if symptoms persist for more than 10 days.
Stop taking this product immediately if you experience
any allergic reaction.
Not suitable for children under the age of 12 years.
Do not exceed stated dose.
If you take too much of this product (overdose):
If you have taken more than you should and feel unwell,
talk to a doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner as
soon as possible.
If you forget to take this product:
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten
dose. Take the next dose when it becomes due.
When you stop taking this product:
If you feel unwell talk to a doctor or qualified healthcare
practitioner as soon as possible.
Patient Information Leaflet Continued
4. Possible side effects:
Like all medicines, this product can cause side
effects, although not everybody gets them.
The frequency of the side effects is not known.
The possible side effects include:
• Allergic reactions such as swelling, hives or
• Swelling of the skin due to fluid.
• Swelling of the facial area (Quinke’s oedema).
• Shrinking of the airways of the lungs with
• Asthma and life threatening reactions
Echinacea can trigger allergic reactions in
patients who have a tendency to allergic
Stop taking the product immediately if you
experience any allergic reaction.
Association with auto-immune diseases has been
reported such as:
• Inflammation of the brain and spinal cord
• Painful lumps on the shins (erythema nodosum).
• Low blood platelet count
• Destruction of blood cells by antibodies
• Dryness in the mouth and eye with kidney tubular
dysfunction (Sjogren Syndrome).
• A decrease in the number of white blood cells
(leucopenia) may occur in long term use (more
than 8 weeks).
6. Further information
Each tablet contains 140mg of extract (as dry
extract) from Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench, root
(equivalent to 840mg-1120mg of Echinacea purpurea
(L.) Moench, root). Extraction solvent: Ethanol 75% v/v.
It also contains other ingredients: Calcium Hydrogen
Phosphate Dihydrate, Microcrystalline Cellulose,
Croscarmellose Sodium, Stearic Acid, Magnesium
Stearate, Maltodextrin, Silica Colloidal Anhydrous.
Each bottle contains 60 beige to light brown
Manufacturer and Traditional Herbal Registration
Holder for this Product:
Lifeplan Products Ltd, Elizabethan Way, Lutterworth,
Leicestershire. LE17 4ND.
Traditional Herbal Registration Number:
If you would like further information or would like an
alternative format of this leaflet, please contact:
Lifeplan Products Ltd, Elizabethan Way, Lutterworth,
Leicestershire, LE17 4ND, United Kingdom.
Telephone +44 (0) 1455 556281
This leaflet was last revised in September 2015
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner.
This includes any possible side effects not listed in
this leaflet. You can also report side effects
directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at:
By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. How to store this product
Do not use your tablets after the expiry date which is
shown on the bottle label after EXP. The expiry date
refers to the last day of that month.
Return any out of date tablets to your pharmacist
who will dispose of them.
Keep the tablets out of the sight and reach of children.
Store in the original package.
Do not store above 25ºC.
Keep the bottle tightly closed.