Active substance(s): CHOLINE CHLORIDE / CYANOCOBALAMIN / ERGOCALCIFEROL / VITAMIN A PALMITATE
Patient Information Leaflet
160 x 260 mm
ARTWORK TECHNICAL INFO
Important information about some of the ingredients of Ketovite Liquid
This medicine contains methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218), which may cause allergic reactions (possibly
3. HOW TO TAKE KETOVITE LIQUID
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start taking this medicine. It contains important
information for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
• This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to take Ketovite Liquid carefully to
get the best results from it. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them, even if their symptoms are the
same as yours.
• You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve.
• There are usually no undesirable effects after taking Ketovite Liquid. If you do notice any unexpected
effects, stop taking it and tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Always take Ketovite Liquid exactly as your doctor has told you to. You should check with your doctor or
pharmacist if you are not sure. The usual dose is 5 ml daily.
In this leaflet:
1. What Ketovite Liquid is and what it is used for
2. Before you take Ketovite Liquid
3. How to take Ketovite Liquid
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Ketovite Liquid
6. Further information
If you take more Ketovite Liquid than you should
Do not take more than you have been prescribed or than is recommended, as this may lead to too high a
dose level, particularly of Vitamin A and Vitamin D.
If you forget to take Ketovite Liquid
You may take the dose later on during the same day. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
There are usually no undesirable effects after taking Ketovite Liquid.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side effects
not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly (see details below). By reporting side
effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
1. WHAT KETOVITE LIQUID IS, AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
Ketovite Liquid is a sugar-free therapeutic supplement for the prevention of vitamin deficiency. It is used in
conditions such as:
• galactosaemia (a disorder of milk sugar digestion)
• disaccharide intolerance (a reaction to sugars such as sucrose, lactose and maltose)
• phenylketonuria (an inability to digest one of the essential amino acids)
• in other disorders of starch, sugar or amino acid metabolism
• in patients who are on restricted, specialised or synthetic diets
Ketovite Liquid is a multivitamin preparation, intended for use at the same time as Ketovite Tablets.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE KETOVITE LIQUID
Do not take Ketovite Liquid if you
• are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of the ingredients of the liquid (see list in section 6 ‘Further information’)
• have hypercalcaemia (high blood calcium level)
• are taking other vitamin preparations, especially those containing Vitamins A and D, such as cod-liver oil.
Take special care with Ketovite Liquid (and speak with your doctor)
• If you have trouble digesting fatty foods as the absorption of some of the vitamins may be reduced.
Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including
medicines obtained without a prescription.
Yellow Card Scheme
IRL - Dublin 2
Tel: +353 1 6764971
Fax: +353 1 6762517
5. HOW TO STORE KETOVITE LIQUID
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not use Ketovite Liquid after the expiry date which is stated on the bottle after Exp. Date. The expiry date
refers to the last day of that month.
Store in a refrigerator (2°C - 8°C).
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to
dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
Tell you doctor if you are taking an oral contraceptive pill as ‘The Pill’ may reduce Vitamin B12 blood levels.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
Absorption of some of the vitamins in Ketovite Liquid may be reduced if you are also taking:
• liquid paraffin
• aminosalicylic acid
• potassium salts
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or likely to become pregnant as large doses of Vitamin A may
damage the baby if taken during the first three months of pregnancy.
What Ketovite Liquid contains
The active ingredients are vitamin A (as palmitate) 2500 IU, vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) 400 IU,
cyanocobalamin 12.5 microgram and choline chloride 150 mg, in each 5 ml.
The other ingredients are methylcellulose, saccharin, methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218), polysorbate 80,
ascorbic acid, alpha tocopherol, terpeneless orange oil, ammonia solution and purified water.
What Ketovite Liquid looks like and contents of the pack
Ketovite Liquid is a pale pink to yellow oral liquid which you take by mouth (oral use).
Ketovite Liquid is available in bottles of 150 ml.
Marketing authorisation holder and manufacturer
The Marketing Authorisation for Ketovite Liquid is held by Essential Pharmaceuticals Ltd, 7 Egham Business
Village, Crabtree Road, Egham, Surrey TW20 8RB, UK.
The liquid is manufactured by Dales Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 2RW UK.
This leaflet was last revised in November 2014.
If you are breast-feeding, large amounts of Vitamin D may cause poor bone formation in your baby.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.