KAOLIN AND MORPHINE MIXTURE
Active substance(s): LIGHT KAOLIN / MORPHINE HYDROCHLORIDE / SODIUM HYDROGEN CARBONATE
65MM X 170MM MULTIPEEL WITH 50MM HINGE LEFT
For symptomatic relief of diarrhoea and upset
SHAKE THE BOTTLE. Take the suspension by
Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years:
Take 2 x 5ml spoonfuls. Repeat up to three
times a day if required.
Do not give to children under 12 years old.
DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE.
Do not take with alcoholic or hot drinks.
Kaolin, Sodium Hydrogen
Carbonate, Morphine Hydrochloride
Peel where shown for further
Active ingredients per 5ml: kaolin
light 1g, sodium hydrogen carbonate
250mg, morphine hydrochloride 0.458mg.
Also contains amongst other ingredients:
ethanol, sucrose, sodium parahydroxybenzoates
Sodium 74mg/5ml, alcohol 0.46 vol%.
Peel where shown for full list of
Do not store above 25°C. Keep tightly closed.
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
Manufactured by the licence holder L.C.M.
Ltd., Huddersfield, HD7 5QH, UK for
Thornton and Ross Ltd., Huddersfield,
HD7 5QH, UK.
LOT, MAN & EXP
5 011309 034219
IMPORTANT: Peel this label
at corner and read BEFORE
use. Do not tear off, re-fix for
FRONT FACE REVERSE:
This medicine contains kaolin to help remove toxic
substances from the digestive system and increase
the bulk of solid waste. It also contains sodium
hydrogen carbonate which neutralizes excess
stomach acid and morphine which calms the gut.
1. Before you use this medicine
Do not use the medicine if you or your
• An allergy to any of the ingredients listed in
• A blocked intestine or bowel problems. • Liver
disease. • Shallow breath, breathing difficulties
or during an asthma attack. • A head injury or
persistent headache. • Fits or seizures. • A coma.
• Taken MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) for
depression within the last two weeks.
• An addiction to alcohol. • High levels of alkali in
the blood. • Low levels of calcium in the blood.
• Reduced stomach acid.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you
or your child have….
• Heart failure. • Kidney problems. • Liver problems.
• High or low blood pressure. • Prostate trouble.
• An underactive thyroid. • Asthma. • A low sodium
diet. • Or are taking steroids. • Or you are elderly,
or weakened, as these people can react differently
to the medicine and may need a lower dose.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you
or your child are taking….
• Any tranquillisers, sleeping tablets, antidepressants
or medicines for mental illness (including MAOIs,
tricyclics, moclobemide, phenothiazines).
• Antihistamines which cause drowsiness. • Alcohol.
• Aspirin. • Antibiotics, e.g. ciprofloxacin, tetracycline.
• Medicines to regulate heartbeat, e.g. esmolol.
• Antivirals, e.g. ritonavir. • Gabapentin, for epilepsy.
• Domperidone or metoclopramide - which stop you
feeling or being sick. • Cimetidine for a stomach
ulcer. • Sodium oxybate for serious daytime
sleepiness. • Chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine - to
prevent or treat malaria. • Any other medicine as this
medicine may interfere with their action.
Driving and using machines….
This medicine may cause drowsiness. If you are
affected do not drive or operate machinery.
Important ingredient information
• This product contains sucrose. If you have been
told by your doctor that you have an intolerance
to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking
• It also contains a small amount of ethanol (alcohol),
less than 100mg per 5ml.
• This product contains 6.4mmol (or 148mg) of
sodium per 10ml dose. To be taken into account
by patients on a controlled sodium diet.
• It also contains sodium methyl and sodium
propyl hydroxybenzoates (E219, E217) which
may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed).
2. Possible side effects
Pregnant or breastfeeding….
Kaolin & Morphine Mixture should not be used in
pregnancy or breastfeeding unless the doctor has
told you to do so.
Like all medicines, Kaolin & Morphine Mixture can
have side effects, although these don’t affect everyone.
Possible side effects are:
• Stomach cramps • Wind • Feeling or being sick
• Constipation • Drowsiness • Confusion • Difficulty
in passing water • Dry mouth • Sweating • Headache
• Facial flushing • Dizziness • Low body heat
• Hallucinations • Mood changes • Pinpoint pupils
• Low sexual urge • Skin rash and itching • Low
blood pressure • Abnormal heartbeat • An increased
sensitivity to pain • Prolonged use may lead to
If you notice these or any other side effects, stop
use and tell your doctor or pharmacist. They will tell
you what to do.
The other ingredients are: ethanol, peppermint oil,
anise oil, saccharin sodium, sodium methyl and
sodium propyl hydroxybenzoates (E219, E217),
black treacle, liquorice flavour, sucrose and purified
What the medicine looks like
Kaolin & Morphine Mixture is a pale brown
suspension which separates on standing.
It is supplied in 200ml bottles.
This label was last revised in March 2018
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side
effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report
side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at:
By reporting side effects you can help provide more
information on the safety of this medicine.
3. Further information
If you accidentally take too much see a doctor
straight away. Take the pack with you to show which
medicine you have swallowed.
• Do not use after the expiry date. The expiry date
refers to the last day of that month.
• Return any unused medicine to the pharmacy for
The active ingredients per 5ml are: kaolin light 1g,
sodium hydrogen carbonate 250mg, morphine
MHRA Header Box
Kaolin & Morphine Mixture
Point Sizes Used
Landscape peelable label
65 x 170mm
Text free area (non-printing)
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.