J COLLIS BROWNES MIXTURE
Active substance(s): MORPHINE HYDROCHLORIDE / PEPPERMINT OIL
(morphine, peppermint oil)
FRONT FACE TOP
Important information about J. Collis Browne’s
• This medicine relieves the symptoms of
coughs and diarrhoea in adults and children
over 12 years.
Do not take….
• If you have breathing problems.
• Or give to children under 12 years.
• Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this
medicine. See section 2.
• Elderly and debilitated patients: ask your doctor
for advice, a lower dose might be more suitable.
• Different doses are needed depending on
whether you take this medicine for a cough or
for diarrhoea. See section 3.
Now read the rest of the leaflet before you
use this medicine. It includes other
information which might be especially
important for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it
• Ask your pharmacist if you need any more
information or advice.
• If you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What the medicine is for
J. Collis Browne’s Mixture relieves coughs and
the symptoms of diarrhoea. The medicine
contains morphine which helps calm and reduce
the effects of diarrhoea and griping pains. It also
contains peppermint oil which calms the
stomach and relieves flatulence and griping.
If you have diarrhoea, it is also important to
drink plenty of fluids to avoid becoming
2. Before you use this
Do not use the medicine if you or
your child have….
• An allergy to any of the ingredients listed in
section 6, or to menthol.
• Shallow breath or breathing difficulties.
• Heart problems.
• A head injury or persistent headache.
• An asthma attack.
• Taken MAOIs (monoamine oxidase
inhibitors) for depression within the last two
• Liver disease.
• Epilepsy or fits.
• A blocked intestine or inflammation of your
colon or rectum.
• Inflammation of the pancreas.
• Severe abdominal pain.
• An addiction to alcohol.
• Phaeochromocytoma (a rare tumour of the
• Or your child is under 12 years old.
Talk to your doctor if you or your
• Kidney or liver problems.
• Low blood pressure.
• Myasthenia gravis.
• Prostate problems.
• Problems with your bile system.
• Irregular heartbeat.
• A history of asthma, or lung disease including
• An under active thyroid gland.
• Adrenal gland problems.
• An addiction to drugs such as painkillers or
• Or are elderly, or weak as you may react
differently to this medicine.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if
you or your child are taking….
• Any tranquillisers/sedatives (e.g. diazepam,
• Any antidepressants (e.g. MAOIs, SSRIs
• Any sleeping tablets (e.g. temazepam,
• Any medicine for mental illness (e.g.
• Any medicine to treat epilepsy (e.g.
carbamazepine, phenytoin, gabapentin).
• Medicines to thin the blood (e.g. warfarin).
• Medicine for high blood pressure (e.g.
• Cimetidine for a stomach ulcer.
• Metoclopramide or domperidone for nausea
• Baclofen a muscle relaxant.
• Sodium oxybate for chronic daytime
• Antibiotics (e.g. rifampicin, ciprofloxacin).
• Antivirals (e.g. ritonavir).
• Antihistamines with sedative effects.
If you are having a general anaesthetic in
hospital, tell the doctors if you have taken
J.Collis Browne's Mixture as it may affect the
Pregnant or breastfeeding….
This product should not be used in pregnancy
or whilst breastfeeding unless recommended
by a doctor.
Important information about some
of the ingredients
This medicine contains 2.3 vol% ethanol
(alcohol), i.e. up to 351mg per 15ml dose,
equivalent to 7ml beer or 3ml wine per dose.
Harmful for those suffering from alcoholism.
To be taken into account in pregnant and
breastfeeding women, children and high risk
groups such as patients with liver disease and
It also contains sorbitol, sucrose and fructose.
If you have been told by your doctor that you
have an intolerance to some sugars, contact
your doctor before taking this medicine.
Driving and using machines....
This medicine may cause drowsiness. If you are
affected do not drive or operate machinery.
The medicine can affect your ability to drive as
it may make you sleepy or dizzy.
• Do not drive while taking this medicine until
you know how it affects you.
• It is an offence to drive if this medicine
affects your ability to drive.
• However, you would not be committing an
° The medicine has been prescribed to treat a
medical or dental problem and
° You have taken it according to the instructions
given by the prescriber or in the information
provided with the medicine and
° It was not affecting your ability to drive
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are
not sure whether it is safe for you to drive
while taking this medicine.
REVERSE FACE TOP
3. How to use this medicine
Take this medicine by mouth.
Elderly and debilitated patients
Use with caution; a reduced dose can be
recommended by a doctor.
Adults and children over 12 years
• Take two or three 5ml spoonfuls (10-15ml)
every 4 hours up to a maximum of three
Adults and children over 12 years
• Take one or two 5ml spoonfuls (5-10ml) every
Children under 12 years
Do not give to children under 12 years.
DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE.
If your symptoms persist you should ask your
doctor for advice.
If you take too much
If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor
straight away. Take the pack with you to show
which medicine you have swallowed.
If you forget a dose
Take the next dose as soon as you remember.
Do not take a double dose. You can then carry
on with the normal dose at the correct time.
4. Possible side effects
Like all medicines J. Collis Browne’s Mixture
can have side effects, although these don’t
If you notice any of the following side effects
you must stop taking this medicine immediately
and see a doctor straight away.
Important side effects
• Allergic reactions (rash, hives, itching, wheezing).
• Drowsiness or difficulty sleeping.
• Difficulty in breathing.
• Muscle twitching, spasms or muscle rigidity.
• Dizziness or fainting.
• Changes in heart rate or palpitations
(awareness of your heartbeat).
• Fits (seizures).
• Change in eyesight e.g. blurred vision, pinpoint
pupils, unusual eye movement.
• Confusion, mood changes, feeling restless,
excited or agitated. Hallucinations (seeing or
• Severe abdominal or back pain, e.g. caused by
bile duct problems.
Other possible side effects are:
• Feeling sick or being sick.
• Difficulty in passing urine or reduced amounts
of urine when you do urinate.
• Dry mouth, changes in taste.
• Loss of appetite.
• Stomach ache, indigestion.
• A flushed face.
• Signs of swelling or fluid retention.
• Lower or higher blood pressure.
• Low body temperature.
• Tingling or numbness.
• Addiction and dependence.
• Loss of sex drive.
• No menstrual periods.
• Feeling generally unwell.
• An increased sensitivity to pain.
If you notice these or any other side effect not
included above, stop use and tell your doctor or
pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also
report side effects directly via the Yellow Card
Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
Be reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. Storing this medicine
• Keep it out of the sight and reach of children.
• There are no special storage conditions for
storing this medicine.
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the
carton. The expiry date refers to the last day
of that month.
• Medicine should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of any unused
medicine. These measures will help to protect
6. Further information
What is in this medicine
The active ingredients per 5ml are:
morphine hydrochloride equivalent to 1.0mg
anhydrous morphine, peppermint oil 1.5
The other ingredients are:
ethanol (alcohol), benzoic acid (E210),
capsicum tincture, caramel (E150), menthol,
citric acid (E330), hypromellose, sorbitol
solution, treacle (containing sucrose and
fructose), purified water.
What the medicine looks like
J. Collis Browne’s Mixture is a dark brown
liquid which smells of peppermint and caramel.
It is supplied in bottles of 45ml and 100ml.
Marketing authorisation holder and
Thornton and Ross Ltd., Huddersfield,
HD7 5QH, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in February 2016
J. Collis Browne’s is a trade mark of Thornton
& Ross Ltd.