IODINE TINCTURE BP
Active substance(s): IODINE / POTASSIUM IODIDE
Do not use the medicine if you or
your child have….
Important information about Iodine Tincture
• This medicine is an antiseptic for use on
• It can be used on adults and children.
• An allergy to any of the ingredients listed in
• A thyroid problem.
• Lithium therapy for manic depression.
• Or on newborn infants.
Do not use….
• On newborn infants.
• On large open wounds.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if
• Highly flammable. Keep away from naked
you or your child are having….
Now read the rest of the leaflet before you
use this medicine. It includes other
information which might be especially
important for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it
• Ask your pharmacist if you need any more
information or advice.
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if
you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What the medicine is for
• Tests on the thyroid as Iodine Tincture may
interfere with the results.
Pregnant or breastfeeding….
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before
using this medicine if you are pregnant, might
be pregnant or are breastfeeding. Iodine
Tincture should not be used in pregnancy or
breastfeeding unless the doctor has told you to
3. How to use this medicine
Apply it to the skin.
• Do not use for long periods.
• Do not use on large open wounds.
• Do not cover with a dressing after use.
Iodine Tincture contains iodine which is an
antiseptic. It is for use on minor wounds, cuts
Adults, the elderly and children
• Apply to the affected area using cotton wool
FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY.
If you swallow some
If you accidentally swallow some see a doctor
Take the pack with you to show which medicine
you have swallowed.
4. Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Iodine Tincture can have
side effects, although these don’t affect
Allergic reactions may occur including:
• Bruising of the skin.
• Pain in the joints.
• Enlarged lymph nodes.
• An increase in the number of white cells in the
• Frequent application to the skin may cause
dryness and irritation.
If you notice these or any other side effect not
included above, stop use and tell your doctor or
pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also
report side effects directly via the Yellow Card
Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. Storing this medicine
• Keep it out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Keep the container tightly closed.
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the
carton. The expiry date refers to the last day
of that month.
• Medicine should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of any unused
medicine. These measures will help to protect
6. Further information
What is in this medicine
The active ingredients are: iodine 2.5% w/v,
potassium iodide 2.5% w/v.
The other ingredients are: purified water and
ethanol 89% v/v.
What the medicine looks like
Iodine Tincture is a dark brown liquid which
smells of alcohol.
It is supplied in 25ml bottles.
Marketing authorisation holder and
L.C.M. Ltd., Huddersfield, HD7 5QH, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in February 2015
210 x 148mm flat (27 x 148mm folded)
Artwork No 553555
Addition of reporting of side
PCP Header Box
Data Matrix: 23701703 VERIFIED
(iodine, potassium iodide)