ILUBE 5% W/V
Active substance(s): ACETYLCYSTEINE
Height: 7 mm
Reading: left to right
Package leaflet – Information for the user
Laetus Pharma Code (mini):
Height: 7 mm
Reading: left to right
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this medicine
because it contains important information for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or your pharmacist.
• This medicine has been prescribed for you. Do not pass it on to others.
It may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
• If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes
any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. See section 4.
5% w/v Eye Drops, Solution
1. What ILUBE is and what it is used for
2. What you need to know before you use ILUBE
3. How to use ILUBE
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store ILUBE
6. Contents of the pack and other information
What ILUBE is and what it is used for
ILUBE is a solution that acts as an artificial tear.
What is in this leaflet
It is used to provide relief for dry eyes conditions which are associated with a lack of
tears or abnormal tear production. ILUBE works by reducing the stickiness of tears
and lubricating dry eyes to relieve discomfort.
What you need to know before you use ILUBE
Do not use ILUBE:
• if you are allergic to acetylcysteine or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
(listed in section 6).
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using ILUBE.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a
baby, talk to your doctor or pharmacist for advice before you use this medicine.
Driving and using machines
Your vision may be blurred after using ILUBE. Do not drive or use any machines
unless your vision is clear.
ILUBE contains the preservative benzalkonium chloride, which can discolour soft
You should not use ILUBE if you:
• Wear soft contact lenses
Other medicines and ILUBE
Stop using Ilube Eye Drop if discomfort, increased reddening or irritation occurs
Important information if you wear contact lenses
This product should not be used on children.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other
medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Do not use the drops whilst wearing contact lenses. Wait at least 15 minutes after use
before putting your lenses back in. ILUBE Eye Drops solution contains benzalkonium
chloride, which can discolour soft contact lenses and may cause eye irritation. Avoid
contact with soft contact lenses.
How to use ILUBE
The recommended dose
The recommended dose is 1 or 2 drops into the affected eye 3 or 4 times daily or as
advised by your doctor.
Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor
or pharmacist if you are not sure.
How to use
• Wash your hands before you start.
• Take the bottle, lift the side of the top as shown (see
diagram A). Remove the yellow plastic disc and the
adjoining aluminium ring.
• Remove the black rubber bung.
• Open the plastic bag and take out the plastic dropper.
• Push the plastic dropper onto the glass bottle. Unscrew
the plastic cap as shown in diagram B.
Continued over ►
How to use ILUBE (continued)
• Tilt your head back.
• Bring the dropper close to the eye. Do this in front of a
mirror if it helps.
• Close your eye for about 30 seconds (Diagram E).
• If you use drops in both eyes, repeat the steps for your
other eye. Screw the cap on the plastic dropper.
• Do not touch your eye or eyelid, surrounding areas or
other surfaces with the dropper. It could contaminate the
• Pull down your lower eyelid with a finger (Diagram C), until
there is a ‘pocket’ between the eyelid and your eye. Press
lightly on the middle of the plastic dropper.
• Put one or two drops, as directed, in your eye (Diagram D).
If a drop misses your eye, try again.
If the contents of the bottle are swallowed
If you use more ILUBE than you should
Tell your doctor or the casualty department of a hospital immediately.
If you forget to use ILUBE
If you have any further questions on the use of ILUBE, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Close your eyes and rinse off any excess ILUBE with warm water.
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. Use it as soon as you
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
• You may experience some or all of the following effects in your eye(s):
Itching, redness, irritation.
If any of the side effects get serious, or you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the national
Earlsfort Terrace, IRL - Dublin 2
Tel: +353 1 6764971; Fax: +353 1 6762517
By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to store ILUBE
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not store above 25°C.
Keep the bottle tightly closed.
Keep in the outer carton in order to protect from light.
Do not use the drops after the expiry date which is stated on the bottle and the carton
after ‘Exp.’. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Yellow Card Scheme
• Shelf life after first opening: 28 days.
• Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help to
protect the environment.
Contents of the pack and other information
What ILUBE contains
What ILUBE looks like and contents of the pack
• The active substance is acetylcysteine 50 mg/ml (5 % w/v).
• The other ingredients are hypromellose, disodium edetate, benzalkonium chloride,
sodium hydroxide and purified water.
ILUBE is a clear, colourless liquid supplied in a 10 ml glass bottle. The carton also contains
a white plastic dropper with a screw cap packed separately.
Marketing authorisation holder:
Rayner Pharmaceuticals Limited, 10 Dominion Way, Worthing, West Sussex,
BN14 8AQ, United Kingdom.
Laboratories Pharmaster, Z.I. Krafft, F-67150 Erstein, France.
• Ref: PCS-PIL-2006 -• Issue: 023
• Date: 21/11/2016
• PIL dimensions: 260 x 218 mm (landscape format, ref: PharmaSter)
• PIL border: 10 mm
• PIL gutter: 6 mm
• FONT: Main title - Helvetica Neue - 75 Bold: 16 pt
• FONT: Sub titles - Helvetica Neue - 75 Bold: 12 pt
• FONT: Body copy - Helvetica Neue - 55 Roman: 8.5 pt
This leaflet was last revised in November 2016.