UK Edition. Click here for US version.
IBULEVE SPEED RELIEF MAX STRENGTH GEL 10% W/W
Active substance(s): IBUPROFEN
Information for the user
MAX STRENGTH GEL
ibuprofen 10% w/w
Read all of this leaflet carefully before using this product.
This medicine is available without prescription. However you still need to use it carefully
to get the best results from it. Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve after a few weeks.
If any of the side effects get serious or if you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What Ibuleve Speed Relief Max Strength Gel
is and what it is used for
2. Before you use Ibuleve Speed Relief
Max Strength Gel
3. How to use Ibuleve Speed Relief Max Strength Gel
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Ibuleve Speed Relief Max Strength Gel
6. Further information
1. WHAT IBULEVE SPEED RELIEF
MAX STRENGTH GEL IS AND WHAT
IT IS USED FOR
• This product is an anti-inflammatory painkiller
applied to, and absorbed through, the skin.
• It is for the treatment of the following conditions
involving the musculoskeletal system:
• muscular backache
• muscular pain
• rheumatic pain
• sports injuries.
• This product is recommended for use by
adults, the elderly and children over the
age of 12 years.
• The active ingredient in this product is
ibuprofen. This is one of a group of medicines
known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory
• Ibuprofen works by:
• relieving pain
• reducing swelling and inflammation.
2. BEFORE YOU USE IBULEVE
SPEED RELIEF MAX STRENGTH GEL
Do not use Ibuleve Speed Relief Max
• if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to
ibuprofen or any of the other ingredients
in this product listed in Section 6;
• if you are asthmatic, or suffer from rhinitis
(allergic runny nose) or urticaria (hives)
and have ever had a bad reaction to aspirin,
ibuprofen or other NSAIDs in the past;
• if you are pregnant or breast-feeding;
• on broken, damaged, infected or diseased skin;
• if you have severe joint pain of recent onset that
is not related to an injury or period of overuse;
• if you feel ill, have a temperature or any other
symptoms that accompany the pain.
Before applying this product for the first time,
make sure it is suitable for you to use:
Because this product is delivered through the skin,
directly over the painful area, there is less risk of
the complications that sometimes occur when
ibuprofen (or a similar anti-inflammatory painkiller)
is taken by mouth. However, in rare cases you may
be at risk:
• if you have a stomach ulcer
(also called a peptic or gastric ulcer);
• if you have ever had kidney problems;
• if you have ever had asthma;
• if you have ever had a bad reaction to
aspirin or ibuprofen taken by mouth.
If any of the above apply to you, only use
this product on advice from your doctor or
Take special care when using this product:
• Use it only on the skin.
• Do not use on children under 12 years of
age except on the advice of a doctor.
• Do not apply it to broken or irritated skin.
• Do not use under protective waterproof dressings.
• Do not use more than the recommended dose
(see Section 3).
• Keep the gel away from the eyes, nose
Using other medicines
• Interaction between this product and blood
pressure lowering drugs and anticoagulants
(medicines that stop blood clotting) is possible,
in theory, although very unlikely. If you would like
more advice about this, speak to your doctor
• If you are also taking aspirin or other NSAIDs by
mouth, discuss this beforehand with your doctor
or pharmacist because these may increase the
risk of undesirable effects.
• Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you
are taking or have recently taken any other
medicines including other medicines
obtained without prescription.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
You should not use this product if you are
pregnant or breast-feeding.
Driving and using machinery
Using this product is not known to affect
your ability to drive or use machinery.
3. HOW TO USE IBULEVE SPEED
RELIEF MAX STRENGTH GEL
Before using this tube of gel for the first time,
open it as follows:
• Unscrew the cap, turn it upside down
and then use the sharp point of the cap to
pierce the membrane in the neck of the tube.
In this leaflet:
If the gel comes into contact with broken skin
or gets into the eyes, nose or mouth
• The product may cause irritation if it comes
into contact with broken skin or gets into
the eyes, nose or mouth. If this happens,
rinse the affected areas with plenty of
water. If rinsing one eye, take care to avoid
washing product into the other eye. If irritation
persists, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
If the gel is accidentally swallowed
• Symptoms may include headache, vomiting,
drowsiness and low blood pressure.
• If you experience any of these symptoms
contact a doctor or hospital straight away.
If you forget to use this product
Do not worry if you occasionally forget to use this
product, just carry on using it when you remember.
If you have any further questions on the use of this
product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Ibuleve Speed Relief Max
Strength Gel can cause side effects, although not
everybody gets them.
Occasionally, mild skin rashes, itching or irritation
can sometimes occur at the site of application.
If this is unacceptable, or persists, stop using the
product and tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Very rarely, the following side effects can happen
with ibuprofen, although these are extremely
uncommon with products such as Ibuleve Speed
Relief Max Strength Gel that are applied to the skin.
If you experience any of the following,
stop using this product immediately and
tell your doctor:
• Allergic reactions (particularly in people
who have a history of asthma or allergic
problems), such as:
• unexplained runny nose and watery
eyes, or, in more serious cases asthma
or aggravated asthma involving breathing
difficulties, wheezing or chest tightness;
• generalised allergic skin reactions involving
itch, swelling, inflammation, redness and
perhaps blistering and light sensitivity;
• other more serious generalised allergic
reactions possibly involving unexplained
nausea and vomiting, swollen eyes, face
or tongue, difficulty swallowing, dizziness
or light-headedness. Unconsciousness could
perhaps occur in the most serious cases.
• Kidney problems (particularly in people who
have a history of kidney disease), such as:
• decreased urine volume;
• loss of appetite / weight loss;
• swelling to abdomen.
• Problems with the digestive system
(particularly in people who have a history
of stomach ulcers etc), such as:
• stomach pain;
• heartburn / indigestion.
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you
notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet,
please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also
report side effects directly via the Yellow Card
Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By
reporting side effects you can help provide more
information on the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE IBULEVE SPEED
RELIEF MAX STRENGTH GEL
Keep it out of the reach and sight of children.
Always replace the cap tightly after use.
Do not store the product above 25°C.
Do not use after the expiry date shown
on the fold of the tube and the carton.
The expiry date refers to the last day of
• Medicines should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no
longer required. These measures will help
to protect the environment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT
IBULEVE SPEED RELIEF MAX
What this product contains:
The active ingredient is ibuprofen (10% w/w).
The other ingredients are industrial methylated
spirit, carbomers, diethylamine and purified water.
What this product looks like and contents
of the pack
• The product is a clear or slightly hazy gel
that is non-greasy and contains no fragrance.
• It is available in tubes containing 40g.
The Marketing Authorisation holder is
Diomed Developments Limited, Tatmore Place,
Gosmore, Hitchin, Herts, SG4 7QR, UK.
The Manufacturer is DDD Limited,
94 Rickmansworth Road, Watford, Herts,
WD18 7JJ, UK.
The Distributor is DDD Limited,
94 Rickmansworth Road, Watford, Herts,
WD18 7JJ, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in April 2016.
To listen to or request a copy of this leaflet in Braille,
large print or audio, please call free of charge:
0800 198 5000 (UK only).
Please be ready to give the following information:
Ibuleve Speed Relief Max Strength Gel,
This is a service provided by the Royal National
Institute of Blind People (RNIB).
To use the gel
(for adults, the elderly and children over 12 years old):
• Use the gel up to three times a day, leaving
at least four hours between applications.
• Lightly apply the gel to intact skin over the
• Squeeze out a 2 to 5 cm length of gel onto
the affected area, enough to thinly cover it,
then massage gently until absorbed.
Do not apply more than 15 cm of gel in any
24 hour period.
• Wash hands after use, unless treating them.
• Carry on using the gel in this way for up to
two weeks (or longer if recommended by
your doctor), until your condition gets better.
• If your symptoms worsen or continue for
more than two weeks, discuss this with
your pharmacist or doctor before continuing
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.