HYDROCORTISONE 1.0% W/W CREAM (15GM PACK)
Active substance(s): HYDROCORTISONE MICRONISED / HYDROCORTISONE MICRONISED / HYDROCORTISONE MICRONISED
HYDROCORTISONE 1.0% w/w CREAM (15g PACK)
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this medicine.
· Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
· If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
· You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve after one
· This medicine is for you. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them, even if their
symptoms are the same as yours.
· If any side effect becomes more serious, or if you notice any side effect not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this Leaflet:
1. What Hydrocortisone Cream is and
what it is used for
2. Before you use Hydrocortisone Cream
3. How to use Hydrocortisone Cream
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Hydrocortisone Cream
6. Further information
1. WHAT HYDROCORTISONE CREAM IS
AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
The name of your medicine is:
Hydrocortisone 1.0% w/w Cream (15g Pack)
It is used for the treatment of irritant dermatitis,
allergic contact dermatitis, insect bite reactions
and mild to moderate eczema.
2. BEFORE YOU USE HYDROCORTISONE
Do not use:
· If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to
corticosteroids, including hydrocortisone.
· If you are allergic to any of the other ingredients.
· If you suffer from a chronic skin disease
(psoriasis) marked by itchy, scaly patches,
unless instructed to do so by your doctor.
· If you are pregnant or breast feeding, unless
instructed by your doctor.
· On broken or infected skin including cold sores,
acne and atheletes foot.
· On the face, eyes, anal or genital area.
If you are unsure, or if you have any further
questions, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before
using Hydrocortisone Cream.
important information about some of the
Hydrocortisone Cream is one of a group of
medicines called topical steroids. Topical means ingredients of Hydrocortisone Cream:
they are put on the skin. Topical steroids reduce
the redness and itchiness of certain skin problems. This medicine contains propylene glycol, which
may cause skin irritation, and
parahydroxybenzoates (preservatives), which may
cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed).
3. HOW TO USE HYDROCORTISONE
5. HOW TO STORE HYDROCORTISONE
Always use Hydrocortisone Cream as explained
in this leaflet. You should check with your doctor
or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Precautions for use:
· For external use only.
· Do not use with bandages or dressings that do
not allow the air to circulate to the affected area
· Refer to Do not use information in section 2.
Do not use Hydrocortisone Cream after the expiry
date which is stated on the tube and carton. The
expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Directions for use:
Adults and children aged 10 years and over:
· Wash you hands before and after application,
unless used for treating the hands.
· Use the cream sparingly over a small area
once or twice a day.
· Rub in gently until the cream disappears.
· If you forget to use your cream at the right
time, use it as soon as you remember, then
continue as before.
· Do not use for more than one week. If the
condition does not improve after one week consult
your doctor. If used for a longer period of time
you increase the possibility of absorption through
the skin and therefore the likelihood of side effects.
Store below 25oC and protect from light.
Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines
no longer required.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What Hydrocortisone Cream contains:
The active substance is hydrocortisone 1.0% w/w.
The other ingredients are glyceryl monostearate,
isopropyl myristate, polypropylene-15-stearyl ether,
synthetic beeswax (contains wool alcohol),
propylene glycol, aluminium magnesium silicate,
polyoxytheylene-10-stearyl ether, polysorbate 80,
citric acid monohydrate, nipasept sorbate (contains
parahydroxybenzoates: E215, E217 and E219)
and deionised water.
What Hydrocortisone Cream looks like and
contents of the pack:
This medicine is a soft white cream, contained in
a tube with a screw cap. The tube is presented in
If you have any further questions on the use of this a carton with an information leaflet.
product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Each tube contains 15g of Hydrocortisone Cream.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Children under 10 years of age:
Do not use without medical supervision.
Like all medicines, as well as benefits,
Marketing Authorisation Holder:
Hydrocortisone Cream can cause side effects. Most
of these side effects are rare, affecting less than Ayrton Saunders Limited.
9 Arkwright Road, Astmoor Industrial Estate,
1 in 1000 patients.
Runcorn, Cheshire, WA7 1NU
If you have an allergic reaction (e.g. skin rash,
burning, red or itchy skin) or allergic contact
dermatitis, stop using the cream immediately, Manufacturer:
and talk to your doctor.
North Way, Walworth Industrial Estate, Andover,
Other side effects that may occur:
SP10 5AZ, UK.
· Slight stinging sensation.
· Thinning of the skin.
This leaflet was last revised in April 2011
· Reddish purple lines (stretch marks).
· Steroid induced acne.
· Problems when stopping use of this
medicine (topical steroid withdrawal
If any of these side effects occur, you should consult
your doctor or pharmacist.
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.