GALPHARM BLOCKED NOSE RELIEF 0.05% W/V NASAL SPRAY.
Active substance(s): OXYMETAZOLINE HYDROCHLORIDE
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you
start using this medicine because it
contains important information for you.
Always use this medicine exactly as described in this
leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more
information or advice.
• If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor
or pharmacist. This includes any possible side
effects not listed in this leaflet. See section 4.
• You must talk to a doctor if you do not feel
better or if you feel worse after 7 days.
WHAT IS IN THIS LEAFLET:
1. What Asda Blocked Nose Relief 0.05%
w/v Nasal Spray is and what it is used for
2. What you need to know before you use
Asda Blocked Nose Relief 0.05% w/v
3. How to use Asda Blocked Nose Relief
0.05% w/v Nasal Spray
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Asda Blocked Nose
Relief 0.05% w/v Nasal Spray
6. Contents of the pack and other information
WHAT ASDA BLOCKED NOSE RELIEF 0.05%
W/V NASAL SPRAY IS AND WHAT IT IS
Asda Blocked Nose Relief 0.05% w/v Nasal
Spray contains Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride
which is a decongestant. It relieves a stuffy,
blocked nose by shrinking the blood vessels
helping to open the nasal passages. It acts within
a few minutes and lasts for up to 12 hours.
The medicine is a solution which is sprayed into
the nostrils to relieve the congestion in the nose
and sinuses which you get in conditions such as
colds, catarrh and hayfever.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU
USE ASDA BLOCKED NOSE RELIEF 0.05%
W/V NASAL SPRAY
Do not use this nasal spray if you:
• Are allergic to oxymetazoline or any of the other
ingredients of this medicine (listed in section 6)
• Have phaeochromocytoma (a rare tumour
of the adrenal glands)
• Have had an operation to remove your
pituitary gland or you have recently had an
operation on your nose or sinuses
• Are already taking medicines to unblock
• Have inflamed skin or mucous membranes
of your nostrils or have scabs in your nose.
Do not give Asda Blocked Nose Relief 0.05%
w/v Nasal Spray to children under 12 years
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before
using Asda Blocked Nose Relief 0.05% w/v
Nasal Spray, if you:
• Have prostate problems
• Are elderly
• Have glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye)
• Have coronary heart disease, cardiac asthma,
or any other heart condition
• Have high blood pressure
• Have an over-active thyroid gland or other
problems with your thyroid function
• Have diabetes
• Have kidney or liver problems.
If any of the following occur, Asda Blocked
Nose Relief 0.05% w/v Nasal Spray should
• sleep disturbances.
Keep away from eyes.
Other medicines and Asda Blocked Nose
Relief 0.05% w/v Nasal Spray
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking
or using, or have recently taken or used any
• Do not use if you are taking or have
recently taken Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors
• Do not use if you are taking beta blockers
as their effect may be reduced
• Tricyclic antidepressants (drugs used in the
treatment of depression such as amitriptyline
• High blood pressure medicines (such as
bethanidine, debrisoquine and guanethidine) as
their effect may be reduced
• Parkinson’s disease medicine (bromcriptine
and rasagiline) treatment may be affected if it is
used at the same time
• Digoxin or digitoxin for heart failure, as it can
cause irregular heart beat (dysrhthmias) if it is
taken at the same time
• Ergotamine or methysergide for migraine relief
• Medicines or supplements to reduce
appetite or make you more alert
• Thyroid hormones e.g. levothyroxine
• Oxytocin used to assist birth or breastfeeding.
If you are taking any other medicines, you should
see your doctor or pharmacist for advice before
taking this medicine.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not use if you are pregnant. Talk to your
doctor or pharmacist before using the nasal
spray if you are breastfeeding.
Driving and using machines
No effect on ability to drive or use of machinery
has been observed.
Important information about some of the
ingredients of this medicine:
• Contains benzalkonium chloride which is
an irritant and may cause skin reactions
• Contains thiomersal as a preservative which
may cause local skin reactions (e.g. contact
dermatitis) and discolouration. It may also
cause allergic reactions. Tell your doctor if you
have any known allergies.
Further information overleaf ➥
HOW TO USE ASDA BLOCKED NOSE RELIEF
0.05% W/V NASAL SPRAY
For nasal use only
Dose and how
the elderly Remove the cap.
Hold the container may be
applied up to
upright, place the
twice daily, or
tip of the spray
years and nozzle just into
each nostril. Hold
the other nostril
container twice as
you breathe in
through the nose at
the same time.
Repeat for the
other nostril. Wipe
the nasal applicator
with a clean, wet
tissue and replace
Do not use in children under 12 years
Do not exceed the stated dose.
Do not use continuously for more than 7 days.
This product is not suitable for long-term use
(see also section 4 ‘Possible Side Effects’).
If symptoms persist, consult your doctor.
If you do not understand these instructions or
if you require any further information about
your medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
If you use too much:
If you have used more spray than the stated
dose, talk to a doctor or pharmacist immediately.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Most people use this nasal spray without any
problems, but, like all medicines it can have side
Stop using the nasal spray and contact your
doctor or go to the nearest hospital casualty
department immediately if you notice:
• skin rashes or itching
• sneezing or stinging or burning of the nose
• swelling of the nose, lips, tongue or throat
• shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing.
Other side effects
• Irritation, dryness or soreness in the nose,
mouth or throat
• Eye irritation, dryness, discomfort or redness
• Headache, dizziness
• Weakness, fatigue and trembling
• Anxiety, fear, irritability, nervousness, restless
or not sleeping, confused or seeing things
• Nausea (feeling sick), vomiting (being sick),
less saliva than usual in your mouth,
• Flushing and visual disturbances
• Effects on the heart e.g. rapid or irregular
• Effects on the circulation e.g. cold feet or
hands, high blood pressure
• If the spray is used regularly over a long
period it may cause a condition called rebound
congestion. This is an unusual swelling of the
lining of the nose, leading to itching, sneezing
and a blocked nose following the last dose of
the spray. Therefore do not use the spray
continuously for more than 7 days
• This product contains thiomersal as a
preservative and it is possible that this may
cause local skin reactions (e.g. contact
dermatitis) and discolouration around the
nose. It may also cause an allergic reaction
• Prolonged and/or heavy use beyond the
recommended use of 7 days, may lead to
cardiovascular and/or CNS effects.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also
report side effects directly via the Yellow Card
Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this medicine.
HOW TO STORE ASDA BLOCKED NOSE
RELIEF 0.05% W/V NASAL SPRAY
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date
shown on the bottle and carton.
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
CONTENTS OF THE PACK AND
What is in this nasal spray?
The active ingredient is: Oxymetazoline
hydrochloride 0.05% w/v
Other ingredients are: Benzalkonium chloride,
thiomersal, sodium chloride, menthol, eucalyptol,
camphor, methyl salicylate, poloxamer, sodium
citrate, anhydrous citric acid and purified water.
What this medicine looks like and contents
of the pack
The product is a clear liquid which is sprayed in
fine droplets out of the nozzle of the container.
A pack contains a white 15 ml bottle.
Marketing Authorisation Holder:
Galpharm Healthcare Ltd., Wrafton, Braunton,
Devon, EX33 2DL, United Kingdom.
Galpharm International Ltd., Elmhirst Park,
Middle Field Road, Barnsley, South Yorkshire,
S75 4LS, United Kingdom.
Text revised: August 2016