GALENPHOL STRONG LINCTUS
Active substance(s): PHOLCODINE MONOHYDRATE
FRONT FACE TOP
Important information about Galenphol Strong
• This medicine relieves the symptoms of dry
coughs in adults, the elderly and children over
Do not take….
• If you have breathing problems including
bronchitis. See section 2.
• Or give to children under 12 years.
• Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this
• With other cough and cold medicines.
Now read the rest of the leaflet before you
use this medicine. It includes other
information which might be especially
important for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it
• Ask your pharmacist if you need any more
information or advice.
• If you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What the medicine is for
Galenphol Strong Linctus contains pholcodine
monohydrate which reduces the desire to cough.
It is used to relieve dry coughs which are
2. Before you use this
o not use the medicine if you
• An allergy to any of the ingredients listed in
• Liver disease.
• Shallow breath or breathing difficulties.
• An asthma attack.
• Taken MAOIs (monoamine oxidase
inhibitors) for depression within the last two
• Or you are under 12 years old.
Talk to your doctor if you have….
• Kidney or liver problems.
• A history of asthma or other breathing
problems including bronchitis.
• A cough for a long time or a cough which
produces lots of phlegm.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if
you are taking....
• Medicine for high blood pressure, e.g. ACE
inhibitors, beta blockers.
• Diuretics, which help remove fluid from the
body, e.g. furosemide hydrochlorothiazide.
• Medicines used to treat sleeplessness, anxiety
• Alcohol or tranquillisers.
• Pain killers, e.g. morphine.
• Or are having surgery, as muscle relaxants
used may react with this medicine.
Pregnant or breastfeeding….
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before
using this medicine if you are pregnant, might
be pregnant or are breastfeeding. Galenphol
Strong Linctus should not be used in
pregnancy unless the doctor has told you to
If you use it when breastfeeding, pholcodine
monohydrate in this medicine will be present in
small amounts in your milk.
Driving and using machines….
This medicine may cause drowsiness. If you are
affected do not drive or operate machinery.
Important information about some
of the ingredients
• This medicine contains small amounts of
ethanol (alcohol), less than 100mg per 5ml
• It also contains sodium hydroxybenzoates,
amaranth dye and sunset yellow dye which
may cause allergic reactions (possibly
3. How to use this medicine
4. Possible side effects
5. Storing this medicine
Take this medicine by mouth.
Like all medicines Galenphol Strong Linctus can
have side effects, although these don’t affect
Important side effects:
If you think you have any of the following side
effects or symptoms, stop using this medicine
immediately and see a doctor as soon as
• Allergic reactions which cause difficulty in
breathing, fever, swelling of the mouth, lips or
skin, severe rashes and itching.
Other possible side effects are:
• Feeling sick.
• Getting excited.
• Being sick.
Galenphol Strong Linctus
cough up phlegm.
If you notice these or any other side effect not
use and tell your doctor or
tell you what to do.
Pack Size They 2will
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
includes any possible
in this leaflet.
No. not listed
also report side effects directly via the Yellow
Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
or search for ‘MHRA Yellow Card’ in the Google
Play or Apple App Store.
By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach
• Protect from light.
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the
• Medicine should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of any unused
medicine. These measures will help to protect
Adults, the elderly and children
over 12 years
REVERSE FACE TOP
• Take one 5ml spoonful every four to six
Children under 12 years
Do not give to children under 12 unless your
doctor tells you to.
If your symptoms persist you should ask your
doctor for advice.
If you take too much
If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor
straight away. Take the pack with you to show
which medicine you have swallowed.
6. Further information
What is in this medicine
The active ingredient per 5ml is:
pholcodine monohydrate 10mg.
The other ingredients are:
citric acid monohydrate(E330), sodium methyl
parahydroxybenzoate (E219), sodium ethyl
parahydroxybenzoate (E215) and sodium propyl
parahydroxybenzoate, glycerol (E422), ethanol,
dye (E110), amaranth dye
(E123), saccharin sodium, carmelloseHelvetica
milk flavour, aniseed
Point Sizes Used
What the medicine looks like
Galenphol Strong Linctus is a thick orange-red
liquid which smells of menthol and aniseed.
It is dispensed for you by the pharmacist.
Marketing authorisation holder and
Thornton and Ross Ltd., Huddersfield,
HD7 5QH, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in December 2017
Galenphol Strong is a trade mark of
Thornton & Ross Ltd.
MHRA Header Box
The normal dose is given below but your doctor
may prescribe a different amount for you.
Always follow the instructions given by the
doctor or pharmacist.