Active substance(s): PHOLCODINE MONOHYDRATE
ethanol (alcohol), less than 100mg per 10ml
• It also contains sodium hydroxybenzoates and
amaranth dye which may cause allergic
reactions (possibly delayed).
4. Possible side effects
Like all medicines Galenphol Linctus can have
side effects, although these don’t affect
Galenphol Linctus is a thick red liquid which
smells of menthol and aniseed.
It is dispensed for you by the pharmacist.
Marketing authorisation holder and
Thornton and Ross Ltd., Huddersfield,
HD7 5QH, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in December 2017
Galenphol is a trade mark of Thornton & Ross
What the medicine looks like
If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor
straight away. Take the pack with you to show
which medicine you have swallowed.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can
also report side effects directly via the Yellow
Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
or search ‘MHRA Yellow Card’ in the Google
Play or Apple App Store.
By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this
If you take too much
If you notice these or any other side effect not
included above, stop use and tell your doctor or
pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
210 x 148mm
If your symptoms persist you should ask your
doctor for advice.
DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE.
The active ingredient per 5ml is:
pholcodine monohydrate 5mg.
The other ingredients are:
citric acid monohydrate (E330), sodium methyl
parahydroxybenzoate (E219), sodium ethyl
parahydroxybenzoate (E215) and sodium propyl
parahydroxybenzoate (E217), glycerol (E422),
ethanol, amaranth dye (E123), saccharin
sodium, carmellose sodium, levomenthol,
condensed milk flavour, aniseed flavour and
Do not give to children under 12 unless your
doctor tells you to.
What is in this medicine
Children under 12 years
6. Further information
No more than 4 doses should be given in any
Other possible side effects are:
• Feeling sick.
• Getting excited.
• Being sick.
• Failure to cough up phlegm.
REVERSE FACE TOP
• Take one or two 5ml spoonfuls three or four
times a day.
Adults, the elderly and children
over 12 years
• Allergic reactions which cause difficulty in
breathing, fever, swelling of the mouth, lips or
skin, severe rashes and itching.
• Keep it out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the
• Medicine should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of any unused
medicine. These measures will help to protect
The normal dose is given below but your doctor
may prescribe a different amount for you.
Always follow the instructions given by the
doctor or pharmacist.
5. Storing this medicine
Take this medicine by mouth.
Important side effects:
If you think you have any of the following side
effects or symptoms, stop using this medicine
immediately and see a doctor as soon as
MHRA Header Box
3. How to use this medicine
if you are taking....
• Medicine for high blood pressure, e.g. ACE
inhibitors, beta blockers.
• Diuretics, which help remove fluid from the
body, e.g. furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide.
• Medicines used to treat sleeplessness, anxiety
• Alcohol or tranquillisers.
• Pain killers, e.g. morphine.
• Or are having surgery, as muscle relaxants
used may react with this medicine.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist
Galenphol Linctus contains pholcodine
monohydrate which reduces the desire to
It is used to relieve dry coughs which are
• Kidney or liver problems.
• A history of asthma or other breathing
problems including bronchitis.
cough for a long time or a cough which
produces lots of phlegm.
Important information about some
of the ingredients
1. What the medicine is for
Talk to your doctor if you or your
Driving and using machines….
This medicine may cause drowsiness. If you are
affected do not drive or operate machinery.
Now read the rest of the leaflet before you
use this medicine. It includes other
information which might be especially
important for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it
• Ask your pharmacist if you need any more
information or advice.
• If you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
• An allergy to any of the ingredients listed in
• Liver disease.
• Shallow breath or breathing difficulties.
• An asthma attack.
• Taken MAOIs (monoamine oxidase
inhibitors) for depression within the last two
• Taken any other cough andcold medicines.
• Or is under 12 years old.
Do not take….
• If you have breathing problems including
bronchitis. See section 2.
• With other cough and cold medicines.
• Or give to children under 12 years.
• Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this
o not use the medicine if you or
your child have….
Point Sizes Used
FRONT FACE TOP
Important information about Galenphol
• This medicine relieves the symptoms of dry
coughs in adults, the elderly and children over
Pregnant or breastfeeding….
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice
before using this medicine if you are pregnant,
might be pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Galenphol Linctus should not be used in
pregnancy unless the doctor has told you to do
If you use it when breastfeeding, pholcodine
monohydrate in this medicine will be present in
small amounts in your milk.
2. Before you use this