PACKAGE LEAFLET: INFORMATION FOR THE USER
In this leaflet:
1. What Fucidin® Ointment is and what it is
2. Before you use Fucidin® Ointment
3. How to use Fucidin® Ointment
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Fucidin® Ointment
6. Further information
1. WHAT FUCIDIN® OINTMENT IS AND
WHAT IT IS USED FOR
Fucidin® Ointment contains sodium fusidate.
It is a type of antibiotic.
Ointment works by killing germs
(bacteria) that cause infections.
Fucidin® Ointment is used to treat conditions
where the skin is infected by germs (bacteria),
• Impetigo (a weeping, crusty and swollen patch
• Infected dermatitis (inflammation of the skin)
• Infected cuts and grazes.
2. BEFORE YOU USE FUCIDIN® OINTMENT
Important information about some of the
ingredients of Fucidin® Ointment
Fucidin® Ointment contains:
• Lanolin (wool fat). This may give you an
itchy rash and inflammation on your skin
where your medicine is used.
• Cetyl alcohol. This may give you an itchy
rash and inflammation on your skin where
your medicine is used.
• Butylhydroxytoluene (E321). This may cause
local skin reactions (e.g. contact dermatitis), or
irritation to the eyes and mucous membranes
(such as lips or genital area).
Please ask your doctor if you are worried
about any of the ingredients in this medicine.
3. HOW TO USE FUCIDIN® OINTMENT
Always use Fucidin® Ointment exactly as your
doctor has told you. You should check with
your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
How to put on Fucidin® Ointment
This medicine is only for using on your skin or
the skin of a child. Do not swallow it. Do not
put it inside your body.
Remove the cap. Check the seal is not broken
before you first use the ointment. Then push
the spike in the cap through the seal on the
Do not use Fucidin® Ointment
• If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to fusidic
acid or sodium fusidate.
• If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of
the other ingredients in your medicine. You
can find a list of these ingredients in section
6 of this leaflet.
Always wash your hands before using Fucidin®
Ointment. Rub the medicine gently on the skin.
If you use it on your face be careful to avoid
Take special care with Fucidin® Ointment
• Take special care if you are going to use this
medicine near your eyes or the eyes of a child.
• If you use the ointment over a long time or
in large amounts it may make the chance of
getting any side effects higher. Also your
skin may get more sensitive to this medicine.
If you accidentally get any medicine in your
eye, wash it out with cold water straight away.
Then bathe your eye with eyewash if possible.
Your eye may sting. If you start to have any
problems with your sight or your eye is sore,
contact your doctor immediately.
Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you
are taking, or have recently taken any other
medicines. This includes any medicines which
you have bought without a prescription.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Please ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice
before using Fucidin® Ointment:
• If you are pregnant, or think you are pregnant.
You must not use your medicine for a long
time or in large amounts. You must ask your
doctor for advice.
• If you are breast-feeding.
Tell your doctor if you become pregnant while
using this medicine.
Driving and using machines
Usually your medicine will have very little
effect on your ability to drive or use machines.
Check with your doctor if you feel any side
effect that may stop you from driving or using
Unless you are using the ointment to treat
your hands, always wash your hands after
using Fucidin® Ointment.
How much Fucidin® Ointment to use
Your doctor will tell you how much Fucidin®
Ointment to use.
Usually, you should use this medicine three or
four times each day.
If you have been told to cover the skin with
any dressings or bandages you may not need
to use the medicine so often. A nappy on a
baby may act as a dressing. Follow the advice
of your doctor.
What to do if you use more Fucidin® Ointment
than you should
If you accidentally apply too much ointment or
a small quantity of the ointment is accidentally
swallowed, it is unlikely to cause any harm. If
a larger quantity of the ointment is accidentally
swallowed or you are worried contact your
doctor, pharmacist or A+E department for
If you forget to use Fucidin® Ointment
If you forget to use this medicine, use it as
soon as you remember. Then next use this
medicine at the usual time.
Please read all of this leaflet carefully before you start taking this medicine.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
• This medicine has been prescribed for you. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them,
even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
• If any of the side effects become serious, or you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Fucidin® Ointment can
cause side effects, although not everybody
Important side effects to look out for:
Rare (probably affect less than 1 in 1,000 people)
You must get urgent medical help if you have
any of the following symptoms. You may be
having an allergic reaction:
• You have difficulty breathing
• Your face or throat swell
• Your skin develops a severe rash.
Other possible side effects:
Uncommon side effects (probably affect less
than 1 in 100 people)
• Irritation at site of application (including pain,
burning, irritation, stinging and skin redness)
Rare side effects (probably affect less than 1 in
• Skin swelling
• Blistering of the skin
If any of the side effects become serious or
you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Medicines should not be thrown away in
waste water or in household waste. Please ask
your pharmacist how to throw away any
medicine you do not need any more. If you do
this you will help protect the environment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What Fucidin® Ointment contains
• The active ingredient is sodium fusidate 2%.
• The other ingredients are cetyl alcohol,
lanolin (wool fat), liquid paraffin, all-rac-αtocopherol, butylhydroxytoluene (E321) and
white soft paraffin.
You can find important information about
some of the ingredients in your medicine near
the end of section 2 of this leaflet.
What Fucidin® Ointment looks like and
contents of the pack
Fucidin® Ointment is an off white ointment.
Fucidin® Ointment comes in tubes of 15 g
and 30 g.
If you have any further questions about using
this medicine, please ask your doctor or
Marketing Authorisation Holder and
Marketing Authorisation Holder:
LEO Laboratories Limited,
Hurley, Berkshire SL6 6RJ, UK
LEO Laboratories Limited, Dublin 12, Ireland.
This leaflet was last revised in August 2014
5. HOW TO STORE FUCIDIN® OINTMENT
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach
• Do not use Fucidin® Ointment after the
expiry date on the carton. The expiry date is
the last day of that month.
• The tube should be discarded 3 months after
first opening. Write the date you first opened
the tube in the space provided on the carton.
• This medicine does not require any special