ELOCON SCALP LOTION 0.1%
Active substance(s): MOMETASONE FUROATE
Elocon® Scalp Lotion 0.1%
This product is available as above name but will be referred to as Elocon throughout this leaflet.
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this medicine because it contains
important information for you.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, ask your doctor, pharmacist or nurse.
- This medicine has been prescribed for you only. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them,
even if their signs of illness are the same as yours.
- If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side
effects not listed in this leaflet. See Section 4.
What is in this leaflet:
1. What Elocon is and what it is used for
2. What you need to know before you use Elocon
3. How to use Elocon
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Elocon
6. Contents of the pack and other information
1. WHAT ELOCON IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
Elocon is one of a group of medicines called topical corticosteroids. It is classified as a “potent
corticosteroid”. These medicines are put on the surface of the skin to reduce the redness and
itchiness caused by certain skin problems.
In adults and children, Elocon is used to reduce redness and itchiness caused by certain conditions
affecting the scalp, called psoriasis or dermatitis.
Psoriasis is a skin disease in which itchy, scaly, pink patches develop on the elbows, knees, scalp and
other parts of the body. Dermatitis is a condition brought on by the skin reacting to outside agents e.g.
detergents, causing the skin to become red and itchy.
2. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU USE ELOCON
Do not use Elocon if you have any of the following:
• Allergies (hypersensitivity) to mometasone furoate, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
(listed in section 6) or to other similar medicines
• Scalp problems as it could make them worse
• Other skin infections
• Ulcerated skin
• Skin atrophy (thinning of the skin)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse before using Elocon:
• If your scalp becomes irritated or sensitive after using Elocon, you should stop using it and tell your
• If you think that you have developed an infection on your scalp whilst using Elocon, you should tell
your doctor as he may need to give you another type of medicine to use.
Contact your doctor if you experience blurred vision or other visual disturbances.
Elocon is not recommended for children under the age of 2.
Other medicines and Elocon Scalp Lotion
Tell your doctor, pharmacist or nurse if you are using, have recently used or might use any other
Pregnancy, breast-feeding and fertility
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask
your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using this medicine.
Elocon contains propylene glycolstearate, which can cause skin irritation.
3. HOW TO USE ELOCON
Always use Elocon exactly as your doctor, pharmacist or nurse has told you. Check with your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse if you are not sure.
Use in Children
• Elocon is not recommended for children under the age of 2.
• Do not use the lotion on your child’s scalp for more than 5 days.
• Treated areas in children should not be covered with a bandage or plaster.
• If you use the lotion on your child more often than you should, or on large areas of the body, it can
affect some of their hormones, and this may affect their growth and development.
Before using Elocon
You should always follow these instructions when using Elocon:
• This medicine should only be used on the scalp. Do not use it on any other part of your body.
• You should check with your doctor before covering the treated areas with a bandage or plaster.
Treated areas on the face should not be covered with a bandage or plaster.
• You should not use a large amount of lotion on large areas of the body for a long time (for example
every day for many weeks or months).
• Do not use in or around the eyes, including eye-lids.
How to use Elocon
• Usually for adults and children, a few drops of Elocon should be applied to the affected area of the
scalp once a day and gently massage until the lotion disappears.
• The hair can be wet or dry when applying the lotion to the scalp.
If you use more Elocon than you should
• If you (or somebody else) accidentally swallows the lotion, it should not produce any problems.
However, if you are worried, you should see your doctor.
• If you use the lotion more often than you should, or on large areas of the body, it can affect some
of your hormones. In children, this may affect their growth and development.
• If you have not used the lotion as you were told to do and have used it too often and/or for a long
time, you should tell your doctor.
If you forget to use Elocon
If you forget to use your lotion at the right time, use it as soon as you remember, then carry on as
If you stop using Elocon
If you have been using the lotion for a long time and your scalp problem seems to have got better, you
should not suddenly stop using the lotion. If you do, you may find that your scalp becomes red and
you may notice stinging and burning. To avoid this, you should speak to your doctor as he will
gradually reduce how often you need to use the lotion until you stop treatment altogether.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Elocon can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
A few people may find that they suffer from some of the following side effects after using Elocon:
• Allergic skin reactions
• Bacterial and secondary skin infections
• Inflammation and/or infection of the hair follicles
• Thinning of the skin
• Red marks with associate prickly heat
• Loss of skin colour
• Excessive hair growth
• Softening of the skin and stretch marks
• Blurred vision.
Other side effects that may occur with topical corticosteroids are dry skin, skin irritation, dermatitis,
dermatitis around the mouth, and small dilated blood vessels.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects
not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at:
www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App
Store. By reporting side effects, you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE ELOCON
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not use after the expiry date which is stated on the carton after EXP. The expiry date refers to
the last day of that month.
• If your doctor tells you to stop taking the lotion, please take the lotion back to the pharmacist for
safe disposal. Only keep the lotion if your doctor tells you to.
• If the lotion becomes discoloured or show signs of any deterioration, you should seek the advice of
• Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist
how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the
6. CONTENTS OF THE PACK AND OTHER INFORMATION
What Elocon contains
The lotion contains mometasone furoate 0.1% w/w as the active ingredient, as well as the following
inactive ingredients isopropyl alcohol, propylene glycol, hydroxypropyl cellulose, sodium phosphate
monobasic monohydrate, phosphoric acid, purified water.
What Elocon looks like and contents of the pack
The lotion is available as clear colourless liquid in white plastic bottles containing 30 ml.
The manufacturer is: Famar SA, 49th klm National Road, Athens-Lamia, Greece and is procured from
within the EU and repackaged by the Product Licence holder: O.P.D. Laboratories Ltd., Unit 6 Colonial
Way, Watford, Herts WD24 4PR.
Leaflet revision date (Ref.) 15.12.2017.
Elocon is a registered trade mark of Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., USA.
To request a copy of this leaflet in Braille, large print or
audio please call 01923 332 796.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.