ELLIMANS UNIVERSAL MUSCLE RUB LOTION
Active substance(s): GLACIAL ACETIC ACID / TURPENTINE OIL
Ellimans is a skin lotion which has warming
and soothing properties. It is used to relieve the
symptoms of muscular pain and stiffness,
including backache, sciatica, lumbago, fibrositis
and rheumatic pain. It can also be used by
athletes to massage the arm or leg muscles.
turpentine oil and glacial acetic acid
Important Information about Ellimans
• This medicine relieves symptoms of various
rheumatic and muscular pains when applied
to the skin.
• It can be used on adults, the elderly and
children over 12 years.
Do not use
• On broken or inflamed skin.
• On children under 12 years.
Now read the rest of the leaflet before you
use this medicine. It includes other
information which might be especially
important for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it
• Ask your pharmacist if you need any more
information or advice.
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if
you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
2. Before you use this
Do not use the medicine if you
• An allergy to any of the ingredients listed in
• Broken or inflamed skin.
• Or on a child under 12 years old.
Pregnant or breastfeeding
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before
using this medicine if you are pregnant, might be
pregnant or are breastfeeding.
3. How to use this medicine
Apply it to the skin.
Adults, the elderly and children
over 12 years
• Shake the bottle immediately before use.
• Wash hands well before and after use.
• Pour the lotion into your hand and apply
it to the affected area. Massage it in until
the lotion is fully absorbed.
• Avoid contact with eyes and sensitive areas of
• Apply every 3 hours to the affected area for
the first 24 hours, then twice a day.
• Apply freely to arm and leg muscles and
massage in before and after activity.
Children under 12 years
Do not use on children under 12 unless your
doctor tells you to.
FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY.
If your symptoms persist you should ask your
doctor for advice.
If you swallow some
If you accidentally swallow some, see a doctor
straight away. Take the pack with you to show
which medicine you have swallowed.
4. Possible Side effects
6. Further information
Like all medicines, Ellimans can have
side effects, although these don’t affect
everyone, but lotions containing turpentine
oil may cause:
• Allergic skin rash and wheals.
What is in this medicine
The active ingredients are:
turpentine oil 35.41% v/v and
glacial acetic acid 3.562% w/v.
The other ingredients are:
dried whole egg powder and purified water.
If you notice these or any other side effect not
included in above, stop use and tell your doctor or
pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
Ellimans is a creamy white lotion which smells
of turpentine and acetic acid.
It is supplied in 100ml bottles.
5. Storing this medicine
• Keep it out of the reach and sight of children.
• There are no special conditions for storing this
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the
carton. The expiry date refers to the last day
of that month.
• Medicines should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of any unused
medicine. These measures will help to protect
What the medicine looks like
Marketing authorisation holder
Actavis Group PTC ehf
Thornton and Ross Ltd., Huddersfield, HD7 5QH, UK
Distributor: Actavis UK Ltd, Barnstaple EX32 8NS.
This leaflet was revised in February 2010
Ellimans is a trade mark of Actavis Group PTC ehf.