ECONOCIL 125MG TABLETS
Active substance(s): PHENOXYMETHYLPENICILLIN POTASSIUM
PENICILLIN VK TABLETS 125 mg & 250
PENICILLIN VK CAPSULES 250 mg
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start
taking this medicine.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or
- This medicine has been prescribed for you.
Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them, even if
their symptoms are the same as yours.
- If any of the side effects become serious, or if you
notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please
tell your doctor or pharmacist.
THIS LEAFLET CONTAINS
1. What PENICILLIN VK is for
2. Before you take PENICILLIN VK
3. How to take PENICILLIN VK
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store PENICILLIN VK
6. Further information
1. WHAT PENICILLIN VK IS FOR
PENICILLIN VK belongs to a group of medicines known as
the penicillin antibiotics, which help to fight bacterial
This medicine can be used to treat::
• mild to moderate infections of the upper respiratory tract
(the nose, mouth, throat or ear)
• mild infections of the skin and soft tissues
• scarlet fever (a red rash accompanied by a sore throat
and a red “strawberry” tongue)
• rheumatic fever (an inflammatory disease which can
cause damage to the skin, joints or heart)
• chorea (uncontrollable, jerky movements)
If you are not sure why you have been prescribed these
tablets or capsules then please ask your doctor.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE PENICILLIN VK
Do not take PENICILLIN VK
• If you are allergic to PENICILLIN VK or any of the other
ingredients in the tablets or capsules (listed in section 6 of
• If you are allergic to other penicillin products or antibiotics
known as cephalosporins.
Take special care with PENICILLIN VK
Tell your doctor before you take this medicine if you have a
• kidney problems
• rheumatic fever
• prolonged use of antibiotics.
PENICILLIN VK may alter the results of some urinary blood
sugar level tests.
Taking other medicines
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have
recently taken, any other medicines, even medicines bought
without a prescription.
In particular, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking
any of the following medicines, as they may affect how
PENICILLIN VK tablets or capsules work:
• Neomycin to treat bacterial infections
• Methotrexate to treat cancer or skin, joint or gut diseases
(psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn’s disease)
• Probenecid or Sulfinpyrazone to treat pain and swelling of
the joints (gout)
• Guar gum to lower blood sugar levels.
PENICILLIN VK can make birth control pills less effective. An
additional form of contraception should be used.
If you go into hospital or have treatment for other conditions,
tell the doctor that you are taking PENICILLIN VK.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Although this medicine is not known to harm babies, make
sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant, planning a
pregnancy or breast-feeding and follow his / her advice.
Driving and using machines
PENICILLIN VK should not affect your ability to drive or
Important information about some of the ingredients of
If you know you have an intolerance to lactose or other
sugars contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
3. HOW TO TAKE PENICILLIN VK
Always take PENICILLIN VK exactly as your doctor has
Take this medicine by mouth. However, if you have severe
illness, nausea, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, stomach
enlargement or excessive movement of the intestines,
treatment by mouth may not be suitable. Follow your doctor’s
Your doctor will decide your dose and length of treatment, as
it depends on your condition.
Ideally give or take each dose either half an hour before (or at
least three hours after) a meal.
• nervous system problems causing fits.
If any of the side effects become serious, or if you notice
any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your
doctor or pharmacist.
5. HOW TO STORE PENICILLIN VK
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
The last dose of the day may be doubled to avoid problems
sleeping. Do not alter your dose without speaking to your
Do not store above 25°C. Store in the original container and
keep the container tightly closed.
Adults and children over 12 years: Typical doses are 125
mg or 250 mg every four to six hours. For severe infections
the maximum dose is 1 g every six hours.
Do not use these tablets or capsules after the expiry date
which is stated on the container. The expiry date refers to the
last day of that month.
Elderly: Same dosage as adults. If you have kidney
problems you may require smaller doses. Follow your
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or
household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of
medicines no longer required. These measures will help to
protect the environment.
Children under 12 years: The doctor will decide the dose for
your child, as it depends on their age.
A liquid form of this medicine is recommended for infants or
children who cannot take tablets or capsules.
If you take more PENICILLIN VK than you should
Contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately. Show them
If you forget to take PENICILLIN VK
Don’t worry, just take your next scheduled dose at the correct
time. Do not take a double dose to make up for the one you
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, PENICILLIN VK can cause side effects,
although not everybody gets them.
Allergic reactions have been reported, which may cause:
• common side effects such as nausea, vomiting,
stomach pain, diarrhoea or a black “hairy” tongue
• other side effects such as chills or fever
• severe skin rash, itching or peeling (including nettle rash)
• difficulty breathing or dizziness
• swelling of the face or throat
• pain and swelling of the joints (arthritis).
Rare side effects:
• various forms of anaemia (reduction in red blood cells)
causing pale skin, weakness, or breathlessness
• other blood disorders causing excessive bleeding
(including blood in your urine or stools), bruising, sore
throat, general illness or fever
• kidney problems
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What PENICILLIN VK contains
The active ingredient in this medicine is phenoxymethyl
The other ingredients in the tablets are lactose, maize starch,
pregelatinised starch, sodium starch glycollate and
The other ingredients in the capsules are lactose, tricalcium
phosphate, sodium starch glycollate, gelatin, titanium dioxide
(E171) and erythrosine (E172).
What PENICILLIN VK looks like and contents of the pack
PENICILLIN VK 125 mg & 250 mg tablets are round white to
off-white tablets with no markings.
PENICILLIN VK 250 mg capsules are white to off-white
capsules with the no markings.
This medicine comes in containers of 100 and 500 tablets or
capsules. Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Marketing Authorisation Holder
Chelonia Healthcare Limited,
Boumpoulinas 11, 3rd Floor,
Nicosia, P.C. 1060, Cyprus
Next Pharma GmbH,
37081 Gottingen, Germany
For more information about this product, please contact the
Marketing Authorisation Holder.
This leaflet was last amended in May 2009