Active substance(s): CIMICIFUGA RHIZOME / ST JOHNS WORT DRY EXTRACT / CIMICIFUGA RHIZOME / ST JOHNS WORT DRY EXTRACT / CIMICIFUGA RHIZOME / ST JOHNS WORT DRY EXTRACT
St. John’s Wort extract 300 mg and Black Cohosh root
extract 6.4 mg
Please read this leaflet carefully before you start taking these tablets.
• It contains some important information about DiaFemin Tablets.
• Keep this leaflet with the tablets.
• You may want to read it again or show it to your doctor, pharmacist or qualified
What is in this leaflet
What this product is and what it is used for
Before you take this product
How to take this product
How to store this product
1: What this product is and what it is used for
This product is a traditional herbal medicinal product containing extracts of:
• St. John’s Wort
• Black Cohosh root
For full details see section 6.
DiaFemin Tablets is a traditional herbal medicinal product used for the relief of symptoms of the menopause, including hot flushes, night sweats, slightly low mood and
mild anxiety based on traditional use only.
As there is evidence that Black cohosh may have hormone-like actions, this product
should only be used by women of childbearing potential if contraception is used.
2: Before you take this product
DO NOT TAKE this product if:
• you are under 18 years of age
• you are pregnant or breastfeeding
• you are of child bearing potential and do not use adequate contraception
• you are allergic to any of the ingredients (see section 6)
• your skin is exceptionally sensitive to sunlight (photosensitive)
• you are having light treatment (phototherapy) for any condition
• you are suffering from depression (see below)
• you have ever had or are suffering from liver or kidney disease (e.g. hepatitis,
jaundice or cirrhosis)
• you have ever had or are suffering from an oestrogen dependent tumour
Tell your doctor before using this product if you:
• are currently taking any medicines containing oestrogens
• think you may be suffering from depression (see below)
• have a persistent history of menstrual disorders
• have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars. This
product contains lactose monohydrate, sucrose and glucose (see section 6).
While you are taking this product:
• avoid excessive sunbathing or the use of sunbeds/solariums
• stop using it at least 10 days prior to undergoing any surgery
Suffering from depression?
Symptoms of depression include feelings of helplessness and hopelessness, loss
of interest in daily activities, appetite or weight changes, sleep changes, loss of
energy and difficulty concentrating. If your doctor has told you that you are
suffering from depression do not use this product. If you think you may be suffering from
depression you should tell your doctor.
Driving and operate machinery
In rare cases St. John’s Wort may make you feel dizzy or sleepy. If affected do not
drive or use machines.
Taking this product with other medicines
St. John’s Wort can affect the way some medicines work and reduce their
effectiveness. Medicines that can be affected by St. John’s Wort include prescription
medicines and those that you may have bought yourself without prescription.
Therefore it is important that you do not take with this product if you are using any of
the medicines listed in the table.
Do not take this product if you are taking any of the following medicines
All hormonal contraceptives
The birth control “Pill”, emergency
contraception, hormonal implants,
creams, patches, intra-uterine devices with
All medicines for depression /anxiety
moclobemide, citalopram, escitalopram,
fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine,
sertraline, duloxetine, venlafaxine
All hormonal replacement therapy HRT tablets, patches, gels, vaginal rings
All medicines for thinning the blood Warfarin, acenocoumarol
All medicines for epilepsy
phenytoin, primidone, sodium valproate
All immunosuppressant medicines
All medicines for HIV infections
Amprenavir, atazanavir, darunavir,
fosamprenavir, indinavir, lopinavir,
nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, tipranavir,
efavirenz, nevirapine, delavirdine
Some medicines for cholesterol
Some medicines for cancer
Irinotecan, dasatinib, erlotinib, imatinib,
sorafenib, sunitinib, etoposide, mitotane
Some medicines for heart disease
Digoxin, ivabradine, amiodarone
Some medicines for migraines
Almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan,
naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan,
Some medicines for high blood pressure
Amlodipine, nifedipine, verapamil, felodipine
A medicine for regulating mood
A thyroid hormone
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.