DERMOL 200 SHOWER EMOLLIENT
Active substance(s): BENZALKONIUM CHLORIDE / CHLORHEXIDINE DIHYDROCHLORIDE / ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE / LIQUID PARAFFIN
Information for the user
Please read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this medicine.
Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
In this leaflet:
1. What Dermol 200 Shower Emollient is and what it is used for
2. Before you use Dermol 200 Shower Emollient
3. How to use Dermol 200 Shower Emollient
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Dermol 200 Shower Emollient
6. Further information
7. General advice on looking after dry skin conditions.
HAT DERMOL 200 SHOWER EMOLLIENT IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
• Dermol 200 Shower Emollient is an antimicrobial and emollient (softening and moisturising)
treatment for you to apply to your skin as part of your normal showering routine.
• It helps to treat and prevent dry and itchy (pruritic) skin conditions, especially eczema
• All age groups who normally shower can use Dermol 200 Shower Emollient.
• There are two types of active ingredient in this product:
- Benzalkonium chloride and chlorhexidine dihydrochloride are antimicrobials. These help to:
- combat bacteria present on your skin that can make eczema worse
- prevent infection caused by scratching itchy skin.
- Liquid paraffin and isopropyl myristate are emollients which help to:
- soften, moisturise and protect your skin by trapping moisture in the skin and restoring
the normal protective function of the skin
- prevent the skin-drying and irritant effects that can be caused by washing and bathing
and by the soaps, foaming additives and fragrances used in ordinary skin cleansing
• This product can be used in addition to any other emollients or treatments your doctor or
pharmacist may have given or prescribed for you to treat your dry skin condition.
3. HOW TO USE DERMOL 200 SHOWER EMOLLIENT
Use it only on the skin. For maximum benefit you should use this product on a regular basis
and whenever you shower.
The same instructions apply for all age groups who normally shower:• To use the product, remove the hooked overcap and attach it to the base of the bottle for
hanging in the shower.
• Holding the bottle upside down, gently squeeze the product into the palm of your hand.
For use as a soap substitute
• Use Dermol 200 Shower Emollient to wash with instead of ordinary soap or shower gel.
It will not foam or lather like ordinary cosmetic products.
2. BEFORE YOU USE DERMOL 200 SHOWER EMOLLIENT
Do not use this product if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to benzalkonium chloride,
chlorhexidine dihydrochloride, liquid paraffin, isopropyl myristate, or any of the other
ingredients of Dermol 200 Shower Emollient listed in Section 6.
Special warnings and precautions
As with any product, severe generalised allergic reactions (see Section 4) are possible. Very
rare reports of such reactions in susceptible individuals, leading to a drop in blood pressure
and even to unconsciousness, have been associated with products containing chlorhexidine.
You must not use Dermol 200 Shower Emollient if you have had problems with chlorhexidinecontaining products in the past.
Take care when using this product:
• If using as a leave-on application, it is generally a good idea for patients with very sensitive
skin to start any new treatment on a small test area first, in case any side effect occurs (see
Section 4 below). This is especially important when treating the face or young children.
Thereafter, treatments may be applied more generously, as required.
• Avoid getting it in the eyes, especially when using it on the face.
• It can make your shower tray (or bath surface) slippery, so be careful to avoid slipping over
when getting into and out of your shower (eg by using a shower or bath mat).
• After use, clean out the shower tray with a suitable detergent to remove any remaining
greasiness (wearing protective gloves to avoid irritating your hands).
Using other medicines
This product is not known to affect, or to be affected by, other medicines.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
This product can be used during pregnancy and whilst breast-feeding. The ingredients have
been in widespread use in this and similar preparations for many years, without reports of
problems. However, safety trials have not been conducted.
Information about the ingredients of Dermol 200 Shower Emollient
If you have previously experienced local skin reactions (e.g. contact dermatitis) to any of
the ingredients, please talk to your doctor before using this product. Problems of this sort
are possible with any ingredient, and a small number of people are known to be sensitive to
cetostearyl alcohol in particular.
Important Safety Information (when used as a leave-on emollient)
Paraffin is a common, important and very effective ingredient in emollient products applied
to the skin. However, care should be taken as emollients which soak into medical dressings
or fabrics (clothing, pyjamas, bed linen, etc.) can increase the flammability of these items.
Patients using emollients (and their parents/carers) should take particular care to avoid
these materials coming into contact with naked flames or lit cigarettes, etc. As a precaution,
dressings and clothing, etc., should be changed frequently and laundered thoroughly.
• After washing or showering, pat the skin dry with a soft towel (avoid rubbing as this can
make dry skin conditions worse).
For use as a leave-on application (eg after showering):
• Apply Dermol 200 Shower Emollient to the affected areas.
• Gently smooth into the skin.
• If necessary, allow time for any excess to soak in. Do not rub the skin vigorously.
• Reapply as often as required.
If you are applying another treatment to the same areas of skin as Dermol 200 Shower
Emollient, try to avoid mixing the two products. This can be achieved by applying the
treatments alternately, leaving sufficient time to allow the previous application to soak in.
If you forget to use Dermol 200 Shower Emollient
Do not worry if you occasionally forget to use it, just carry on using the product as described
the next time you require it.
If the product gets into the eyes
The product may cause irritation if it gets into the eyes. Rinse the eyes with plenty of water.
If rinsing one eye, take care to avoid washing product into the other eye. If irritation persists,
seek medical advice.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Dermol 200 Shower Emollient can cause side effects, although not
everybody gets them.
If you experience any of the following reactions stop using Dermol 200 Shower Emollient
and get urgent medical help: swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat; a sudden
uncharacteristic red itchy skin rash (hives) away from the site of application; wheezing or
breathing difficulty; feeling faint or dizzy; a strange metallic taste in the mouth; or collapse.
You may be having a serious allergic reaction.
This product has been specially designed for use on dry or problem skin areas anywhere on
the body. Rarely, Dermol 200 Shower Emollient can cause skin reactions on treated areas
(involving redness, irritation and/or itching). These very rare skin reactions may become more
significant where associated with excessive use as a leave-on application in areas of folded
skin such as the groin or in the nappy area.
Stop using the shower emollient and tell your doctor or pharmacist:
• If your skin condition seems to look or feel worse.
• If any of the side effects become unacceptable, or you notice any other side effects not
mentioned in this leaflet.
If you swallow Dermol 200 Shower Emollient
If you accidentally swallow the product and you then feel unwell, seek medical attention.
Do not attempt to cause vomiting.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow
Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can provide
more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE DERMOL 200 SHOWER EMOLLIENT
• Keep out of sight and reach of children.
• Do not use Dermol 200 Shower Emollient after the expiry date shown on the container
or carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
• Do not store above 25°C.
Replace the hooked overcap in the original position on the top of the bottle during transport.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What Dermol 200 Shower Emollient contains:
The active ingredients in this product are benzalkonium chloride (0.1% w/w), chlorhexidine
dihydrochloride (0.1% w/w), liquid paraffin (2.5% w/w) and isopropyl myristate (2.5% w/w).
The other ingredients are cetostearyl alcohol, macrogol cetostearyl ether (cetomacrogol
1000), phenoxyethanol and purified water.
What Dermol 200 Shower Emollient looks like and contents of the pack
• The product is a white, non-greasy lotion that contains no dye or fragrance.
• The bottle contains 200 ml of product. The bottle is fitted with a hooked overcap.
The Marketing Authorisation holder is Dermal Laboratories, Hitchin, Herts, SG4 7QR, UK.
The Manufacturer is Fleet Laboratories Ltd, 94 Rickmansworth Road, Watford, Herts,
WD18 7JJ, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in April 2017.
7. GENERAL ADVICE ON LOOKING AFTER DRY SKIN CONDITIONS
• Emollients help soften, moisturise and protect the skin. They play a central role in the
treatment and management of dry skin conditions. For maximum effect, they should be
applied regularly and as often as needed.
• When bathing, try to use warm, not hot, water and avoid staying in the bath for long
periods. This could make dry skin conditions worse.
• Try to avoid using normal soaps or shower products (even those labelled “moisturising”).
This is because they tend to dry and irritate the skin. Avoid using products containing
fragrances, as these can also cause skin problems. You should try to use a fragrance-
free emollient “soap substitute” instead. This type of product will not foam or lather but
will be better for your dry skin condition.
• Breaking the itch-scratch cycle.
Some dry skin conditions like eczema and dermatitis are itchy, and can be quite sore.
Although scratching relieves the itching for a short while, it further damages the skin. Badly
scratched skin easily gets infected. This makes it itchier and the urge to scratch becomes
even greater. It is better if scratching can be avoided by reducing the itching. The regular
use of emollients or moisturisers can help with this.
To listen to or request a copy of this leaflet in Braille, large print or audio, please call free of
charge: 0800 198 5000 (UK only).
Please be ready to give the following information: Dermol 200 Shower Emollient, 00173/0156.
This is a service provided by the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB).
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.