CUPAL LINCTUS (Pholcodine)
Cupal Linctus contains the active ingredient: Pholcodine 5.0mg
It also contains the following inactive ingredients:
Anhydrous Citric Acid PDR
Cherry Flavour 95 – optrex
Sodium saccharin crystal (76% saccharin)
Carmoisine Edicol (E122)
A clear, bright red-coloured syrup with a pleasant cherry flavour for oral
administration available in bottles of 100, 120 and 200ml.
Pholcodine is a cough suppressant with mild sedative and little analgesic activity.
Product Licence Holder
Ayrton Saunders Ltd., 9 Arkwright Road, Astmoor Industrial Estate, Runcorn,
Cheshire, WA7 1NU
The Beeston Factory of The Boots Company Plc., 1 Thane Road West, Nottingham,
Cupal Ltd., King Street, Blackburn, BB2 2DX
For the relief of dry irritating coughs.
Before Using Cupal Linctus
The following information should be read before using this product:
1. Do not use this product if you are sensitive to any of the ingredients listed at
the beginning of this leaflet.
2. Do not take Cupal Linctus if you are suffering from liver disease, glaucoma,
asthma, or severe pulmonary disease.
3. Avoid alcohol whilst taking Cupal Linctus.
4. Consult your doctor before taking Cupal Linctus:
• If you are currently taking any of the following types of medication: CNS
depressants, barbiturates, anxiolytics, hypnotics, tricyclic anti-depressants,
phenothiazones, metoclopramide, anaesthetic agents, or monoamine
• Within 14 days of discontinuing treatment with any of the above drugs
• if you are taking drugs such as mexiletine, since Pholcodine may interfere
with their absorption
• if you are pregnant or breast feeding
5. Cough suppressants may cause sputum retention and therefore are not
recommended for use in patients with chronic bronchitis or bronchiectasis.
6. This product may cause drowsiness and patients should not drive or operate
machinery if so affected.
Directions for using Cupal Linctus
Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years:
Children 5-12 years;
Children under 5 years:
10ml (2 teaspoonfuls)
2.5 – 5ml
This product should not be given to children aged one year and under.
The dose may be repeated 3-4 times daily as required up to a maximum of 7 days.
Should your condition persist or worsen, then medical advice should be sought.
Symptoms of overdose may include nausea, drowsiness, headache, restlessness,
excitement, ataxia and respiratory depression, gastrointestinal disturbance, flushing of
face, ski rash, sweating or vertigo.
Treatment consists of emptying the stomach by aspiration and lavage. In cases of
severe poisoning, the specific narcotic antagonist may be used. Otherwise treatment
should be symptomatic and supportive.
Nausea, drowsiness, skin rashes, sputum retention and constipation may occur
If you experience these or any other reactions, report it to your doctor or pharmacist
who will advise you of the necessary action to take.
The product has a three year shelf life which is given on the label.
Do not use Cupal Linctus after the expiry shown on the label.
Store at or below 25ºC
Date of revision: October 2010
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.