COVONIA COLD & FLU FORMULA
Active substance(s): CETYLPYRIDINIUM CHLORIDE / GUAIFENESIN / PARACETAMOL / PHENYLEPHRINE HYDROCHLORIDE
2. Before you use this medicine
• This medicine relieves the symptoms of cold
and flu in adults and children over 12 years old.
• Allergic to any of the ingredients listed in
• Taking any other product containing paracetamol.
• Taking medicine for high blood pressure or
any ‘beta-blocker’ drugs such as Atenolol.
• Taking any other product for colds, flu or
congestion as Covonia Cold and Flu Formula
contains a decongestant.
• Or give to children under 12 years.
Important information about Covonia
Cold & Flu Formula
FRONT FACE TOP
Do not take….
• With any other products containing
paracetamol or decongestants.
• If you are pregnant.
• If you accidentally take an overdose of the
medicine see a doctor straight away. See section 3.
Now read the rest of the leaflet before you
use this medicine. It includes other
information which might be especially
important for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need any more
information or advice.
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if
you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What the medicine is for
Covonia Cold and Flu Formula is an oral
solution containing paracetamol which is an
analgesic for pain relief. It also contains
phenylephrine hydrochloride, a decongestant to
help you breathe more easily. Guaifenesin is an
expectorant which loosens phlegm and
cetylpyridinium chloride is an antiseptic to ease
tickly sore throats.
The medicine provides short term relief of cold
and flu symptoms, including aches and pains,
headache, blocked nose and tickly sore throat
and chesty coughs.
3. How to use this medicine
Always use the measuring cup supplied with
It is important to shake the bottle for at least
10 seconds before use.
Take this medicine by mouth.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if
• Liver or kidney problems.
• Heart disease.
• High blood pressure.
• Prostate trouble.
• An overactive thyroid gland.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if
you are taking…..
• Domperidone or metoclopramide for nausea
• Colestyramine mainly used for high cholesterol.
• Medicines used to prevent blood clotting such
• Medicines for heart problems.
• Medicine for depression (including
monoamine oxidase inhibitors/MAOIs) within
the last two weeks.
• A urine test, as this medicine may interfere
with the results.
4. Possible side effects
Adults, the elderly
over 16 years
• Leave at least 4hrs between doses
• Do not take more than four doses in 24hrs
• Do not give to children under 12 years
unless your doctor tells you to
• Wipe the neck of the bottle clean and replace
the cap securely without overtightening it.
Like all medicines, Covonia Cold & Flu Formula
can have side effects, although these don’t
• Upset stomach.
• Allergic reactions including skin rashes.
• Blood disorders.
• Inflammation of the pancreas which causes
severe pain in the abdomen and back.
• High blood pressure.
• Vomiting and diarrhoea.
Very rare effects:
• Very rare cases of serious skin reactions have
DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE.
The product is for short term use only.
If symptoms persist consult your doctor.
If you notice these or any other side effect not
included above, stop use and tell your doctor or
pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
REVERSE FACE TOP
Do not use the medicine if you are….
If you take too much
Immediate medical advice should be
sought in the event of an overdose, even if you
feel well, because of the risk of delayed, serious
Take the pack with you to show which medicine
you have swallowed.
If you forget a dose
Take the next dose as soon as you
remember. Do not take a double dose. You can
then carry on with the next dose at the correct
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can
also report side effects directly via the Yellow
Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. Storing this medicine
• Keep it out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not store above 25°C.
Pregnant or breastfeeding….
Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant.
If you use it when breastfeeding, some drugs in
this medicine will be present, in small amounts,
in your milk.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice if you
might be pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Important information about some
of the ingredients
• This product contains 19 vol% ethanol
(alcohol), i.e. up to 3000mg per dose,
equivalent to 76ml of beer or 32ml of wine
per dose. Harmful for those suffering from
alcoholism. To be taken into account in
pregnant or breastfeeding women, children
and high-risk groups such as people with liver
disease or epilepsy.
• The amount of alcohol in this medicinal
product may alter the effects of other
medicines, and may impair your ability to
drive or use machines.
• It also contains liquid maltitol and sorbitol. If
you have been told by your doctor that you
have an intolerance to some sugars, contact
your doctor before taking this medicine. Each
20ml dose contains 3g of sorbitol which may
have a mild laxative effect (calorific value
• It contains propylene glycol which may cause
symptoms like drinking alcohol.
• Keep the bottle tightly closed and in the outer
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the
carton. The expiry date refers to the last day
of that month.
• Medicine should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of any unused
medicine. These measures will help to protect
6. Further information
What the medicine contains
The active ingredients per 20ml are:
paracetamol 1000mg, phenylephrine
hydrochloride 12.18mg, guaifenesin 200mg,
cetylpyridinium chloride 3mg.
The other ingredients are: liquid maltitol,
sorbitol (E420), ethanol, propylene glycol,
glycerol (E422), saccharin sodium, sodium
cyclamate, acesulfame potassium, sodium
citrate, citric acid monohydrate (E330), xanthan
gum (E415), levomenthol, eucalyptus oil,
colours: quinoline yellow (E104), patent blue v
(E131) and purified water.
What the medicine looks like
Covonia Cold & Flu Formula is a thick green
liquid which smells of menthol and eucalyptus.
It is supplied in 160ml bottles.
Marketing authorisation holder and
Thornton and Ross Ltd., Huddersfield,
HD7 5QH, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in May 2016
Covonia is a trade mark of Thornton & Ross Ltd
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.