CARE PHOLCODINE 5MG/5ML ORAL SOLUTION SUGAR FREE
Active substance(s): PHOLCODINE MONOHYDRATE
2. Before you use this
FRONT FACE TOP
Important information about Galenphol
• This medicine relieves the symptoms of dry
coughs in adults, the elderly and children over
Do not take….
• If you have breathing problems including
bronchitis. See section 2.
• With other cough and cold medicines.
• Or give to children under 12 years.
• Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this
Now read the rest of the leaflet before you
use this medicine. It includes other
information which might be especially
important for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it
• Ask your pharmacist if you need any more
information or advice.
• If you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What the medicine is for
Galenphol Linctus contains pholcodine which
reduces the desire to cough.
It is used to relieve dry coughs which are
o not use the medicine if you or
your child have….
• An allergy to any of the ingredients listed in
• Liver disease.
• Shallow breath or breathing difficulties.
• An asthma attack.
• Taken MAOIs (monoamine oxidase
inhibitors) for depression within the last two
• Taken any other cough and cold medicines.
• Or is under 12 years old.
Talk to your doctor if you or your
• Kidney or liver problems.
• A history of asthma or other breathing
problems including bronchitis.
• A cough for a long time or a cough which
produces lots of phlegm.
Pregnant or breastfeeding….
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice
before using this medicine if you are pregnant,
might be pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Galenphol Linctus should not be used in
pregnancy unless the doctor has told you to do
If you use it when breastfeeding, pholcodine in
this medicine will be present in small amounts
in your milk.
Driving and using machines….
This medicine may cause drowsiness. If you are
affected do not drive or operate machinery.
Important information about some
of the ingredients
• This medicine contains small amounts of
ethanol (alcohol), less than 100mg per 10ml
• It also contains sodium hydroxybenzoates and
amaranth dye which may cause allergic
reactions (possibly delayed).
T alk to your doctor or pharmacist
if you are taking....
• Medicine for high blood pressure, e.g. ACE
inhibitors, beta blockers.
• Diuretics, which help remove fluid from the
body, e.g. furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide.
• Medicines used to treat sleeplessness, anxiety
• Alcohol or tranquillisers.
• Pain killers, e.g. morphine.
• Or are having surgery, as muscle relaxants
used may react with this medicine.
3. How to use this medicine
Take this medicine by mouth.
The normal dose is given below but your doctor
may prescribe a different amount for you.
Always follow the instructions given by the
doctor or pharmacist.
Adults, the elderly and children
over 12 years
• Take one or two 5ml spoonfuls three or four
times a day.
No more than 4 doses should be given in any
Children under 12 years
Do not give to children under 12 unless your
doctor tells you to.
DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE.
If your symptoms persist you should ask your
doctor for advice.
MHRA Header Box
If you take
too much Galenphol Linctus
If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor
straight away. Take
the pack with
you to show
Like all medicines Galenphol Linctus can have
side effects, although
Important side effects:
If you think you have any of the following side
effects or symptoms, stop using this medicine
immediately and see a doctor as soon as
• Allergic reactions which cause difficulty in
breathing, fever, swelling of the mouth, lips or
skin, severe rashes and itching.
Other possible side effects are:
• Feeling sick.
• Getting excited.
• Being sick.
• Failure to cough up phlegm.
Artwork No 537241
Addition of reporting of side
6. Further information
What is in this medicine
pharmacist or nurse.Process
HelveticaWhat the medicine looks like
Galenphol Linctus is a thick red liquid which
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can
smells of menthol and aniseed.
also report side effects
It is dispensed for you by the pharmacist.
Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
By reporting side effects you can help provide
Marketing authorisation holder and
more information on the safety of this
Thornton and Ross Ltd., Huddersfield,
HD7 5QH, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in October 2014
Galenphol is a trade mark of Thornton & Ross
• Keep it out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the
• Medicine should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of any unused
medicine. These measures will help to protect
The active ingredient per 5ml is:
The other ingredients are:
citric acid monohydrate (E330), sodium methyl
parahydroxybenzoate (E219), sodium ethyl
parahydroxybenzoate (E215) and sodium propyl
If you notice these or any other side effect not
parahydroxybenzoate (E217), glycerol (E422),
included above, stop use and tell your doctor or
ethanol, amaranth dye (E123), saccharin
pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
sodium, carmellose sodium, levomenthol,
condensed milk flavour, aniseed flavour and
Reporting of side effects
If you get any sideColours
talk to your doctor,Fonts Used
PCP Header Box
5. Storing this medicine
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.