UK Edition. Click here for US version.
Active substance(s): COAL TAR SOLUTION
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start applying this medicine.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
• This medicine has been prescribed for you. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm
them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effect not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What Carbo-Dome Cream is and what it
is used for
2. Before you apply Carbo-Dome Cream
3. How to apply Carbo-Dome Cream
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Carbo-Dome Cream
6. Further Information
What Carbo-Dome Cream is
and what it is used for
The active ingredient, coal tar solution, which is
used to relieve and prevent itching and promotes
the softening of the outer layer of skin, the tar acids
in coal tar have been shown to have
Carbo-Dome® Cream is used to treat psoriasis.
Before you apply Carbo-Dome
Do not use Carbo-Dome Cream:
• If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to coal tar
or any of the other ingredients (see section 6)
• If you suffer from inflammation of the hair
follicles (folliculitis) or acne
• If your skin reacts to sunlight (photosensitive)
• If you suffer from a condition called lupus
• If you have inflamed or broken skin (open
wound or skin infections)
• On the genitals or rectal areas.
Take special care with Carbo-Dome Cream:
• Take care when apply Carbo-Dome to your face,
avoid your eyes and other sensitive areas, If
the cream gets into your eyes rinse them
thoroughly with water.
• Use this cream sparingly and with care especially
around the skin folds (e.g. your elbows).
• Avoid exposure to direct sunlight and UV lamps
after applying as this increases the effects of the
coal tar particularly in the treatment of psoriasis.
If you are going out into the sun or work outdoors,
use a strong sun cream, wear a broad rimmed
hat and loose clothes to protect the treated area
from the sun.
• Coal tar may stain your clothes and hair.
• If this product comes into contact with dressings,
clothing and bedding the fabric can be easily
ignited with a naked flame. You should keep
away from fire when using this product.
Taking other medicines
You can use coal tar while taking other medicines.
It is very important that you tell your doctor if you
are taking any other medication. You should also tell
your doctor if you are taking any medicines you
can buy without a prescription.
Pregnancy and Breast-feeding
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice
before taking or using any medicine.
How to apply Carbo-Dome Cream
For external use on the skin only, not to be
How and where to use
Use sparingly and with care on skin folds (e.g.
elbow) and the delicate skin areas around the sex
organs and scalp.
Continued on the next page >>
Shake the bottle thoroughly before each use.
Adults and children over 12 years of age
• Ensure the affected skin is clean before
applying the lotion.
• Apply a thin layer of Carbo-Dome over the
affected layer 2 - 3 times a day, massage in
gently and leave it dry.
Children under 12 years old and the elderly
As for adults but the lotion should be diluted by
mixing it with a few drops of freshly boiled,
cooled water. Some patients use a thin layer of
moisturising cream to keep the affected areas
moist after the lotion has been applied.
If you swallow Carbo-Dome Cream
If you or anyone else swallows any of this cream,
contact a doctor immediately or go to your nearest
hospital casualty department and take the bottle
with you to show the doctor what you have used.
If you apply more Carbo-Dome Cream than
If you apply an unintentional extra dose it is
unlikely to be harmful.
If you forget to apply Carbo-Dome Cream
If you forget to apply the cream, apply the missed
dose as soon as you remember.
Apply your next dose at the correct time.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Carbo-Dome Cream can cause
side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The side effects are:
• Some people may be more sensitive to the sun,
sunbeds and UV lamps while using coal tar
cream. If this happens to you, avoid exposure
to the sunlight, sunbeds and UV lamps (unless
this is required as for example part of your
treatment for psoriasis).
• Skin irritation may occur.
• Acne-type skin eruptions.
• Inflammation of the hair follicles in the skin.
• Staining of the skin.
• This cream contains methyl-phydroxybenzoate which may cause allergic
reactions (these reactions may be delayed).
How to store Carbo-Dome Cream
Do not use this cream after the expiry date shown on
the label. This is the last day of the month.
Store this cream in a cool place.
If you notice any visible signs of deterioration in
your cream, take it to your pharmacist for advice.
Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of
children. Your medicines can harm them.
Medicines should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no
longer required. These measures will help to
protect the environment.
What Carbo-Dome Cream contains:
Carbo-Dome® Cream contains 10% of coal tar
solution BP as the active ingredient. It also
contains dehydag wax, beeswax, white soft
paraffin, light liquid paraffin, glycerol, sodium
lauryl sulphate, methyl p-hydroxybenzoate
(E219) and purified water.
Carbo-Dome® Cream is available in 30 g and
100 g aluminium tubes.
Marketing Authorisation Holder and
Product Licence Holder:
Sandoz Ltd, Frimley Business Park, Frimley,
Camberley, Surrey, GU16 7SR, UK.
Pharmasol Ltd, North Way, Walworth Industrial
Estate, Andover, Hampshire, SP10 5AZ.
This leaflet was last approved in 04/2017.
This leaflet applies to Carbo-Dome® Cream only.
If any of the side effects get serious or if you
notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet,
please tell your doctor or pharmacist as soon as
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.