Active substance(s): ACTIVATED CHARCOAL / MAGNESIUM HYDROXIDE
Activated charcoal 100mg and Magnesium hydroxide 100mg
Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information
This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to
take Carbellon Tablets carefully to get the best results from them.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
- You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve.
- If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not
listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What Carbellon Tablets are and what they are used for
2. Before you take Carbellon Tablets
3. How to take Carbellon Tablets
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Carbellon Tablets
6. Further information
1. WHAT CARBELLON TABLETS ARE AND WHAT THEY ARE USED FOR
Carbellon Tablets are black circular tablets to be taken by mouth. Carbellon
Tablets contain activated charcoal to help relieve wind or flatulence and
magnesium hydroxide to alleviate the symptoms of indigestion and dyspepsia.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE CARBELLON TABLETS
Do not take Carbellon Tablets if you:
• are allergic (hypersensitive) to activated charcoal or magnesium hydroxide or
any of the other ingredients of Carbellon Tablets (see section 6).
• suffer from kidney problems
• have sharp or persistant abdominal pain with or without the presence of nausea
Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any
other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
• heart medicines such as digoxin
• anti-epileptic medicines such as phenytoin, phenobarbital
• medicines for mental disorders such as chlorpromazine
• antibiotics such as penicillin or tetracycline
Taking Carbellon Tablets with food and drink
Carbellon Tablets can be taken with food and drink.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice
before taking Carbellon Tablet.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Carbellon Tablets
Carbellon tablets contain sucrose. If you have been told by your doctor that you
have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this
3. HOW TO TAKE CARBELLON TABLETS
Always take Carbellon Tablets exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you.
You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Swallow Carbellon Tablets whole with plenty of water.
Adults and the Elderly: 2-4 tablets, three times a day
Children (6-12 years of age): 2 tablets, three times a day
Not recommended for children under 6 years of age.
If you take more Carbellon Tablets than you should
Contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
If you forget to take Carbellon Tablets
Take your next dose when you remember and continue with the normal course of
treatment. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Carbellon Tablets can cause side effects, although not
everybody gets them.
Carbellon Tablets can cause diarrhoea in some people. If this occurs you should
stop taking these tablets.
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in
this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
5. HOW TO STORE CARBELLON TABLETS
Keep out of the reach and sight of children
Do not store above 25°C and protect from light.
Do not use Carbellon Tablets after the expiry date that is stated on the container
label and on the carton after EXP. The expiry date refers to the last day of the
Medicines should not be disposed of via household waste. Return any unused
Carbellon Tablets to your pharmacist for safe disposal. These measures will help
to protect the environment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What Carbellon Tablets contain
- The active substances are activated charcoal (100mg) and magnesium
- The other ingredients are carmellose sodium (E466), sucrose, icing sugar,
colloidal hydrated silica, magnesium stearate, alginic acid (E400), sodium lauryl
sulphate, sodium starch glycollate and peppermint oil.
What Carbellon Tablets look like and contents of the pack
Carbellon Tablets are black, circular tablets and are available in containers of 50
or 250 tablets.
Marketing Authorisation Holder: Torbet Laboratories Ltd, 14D Wendover Road,
Rackheath Industrial Estate, Norwich, NR13 6LH.
Manufacturer: Norit NV, 3812 PM Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Date of Leaflet Preparation: April 2009.
Carbellon PIL (rev April 09)
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.