BEECHAMS ULTRA ALL IN ONE HOT LEMON MENTHOL POWDER FOR ORAL SOLUTION
• Contains paracetamol.
• Do not take with any other paracetamolcontaining products.
Powder for oral solution
Paracetamol, Guaifenesin, Phenylephrine
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you take this
medicine because it contains important information
you need to know.
This medicine is available without prescription, however, you still
need to use this product carefully to get the best results from it.
Keep this leaflet as you may need to read it again. Ask your
pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
1. What is this medicine and what is it used for?
This medicine contains:
• paracetamol which is a pain reliever (analgesic)
and helps reduce your temperature when you
have a fever
• guaifenesin which is an expectorant to help
• phenylephrine which is a decongestant to
reduce swelling in the passages of the nose to
help you breathe more easily.
These sachets are used for the relief of the symptoms of colds
and flu and the pain and congestion of sinusitis, including aches
and pains, headache, blocked nose and sore throat, chills and
feverishness (high temperature). They can also loosen stubborn
mucus (phlegm) and provide relief from chesty coughs.
2. Is this medicine suitable for you?
Do not take this medicine if you:
• are allergic to paracetamol, guaifenesin,
phenylephrine or any of the other ingredients
• have a serious heart condition or cardiovascular
• have high blood pressure (hypertension)
• have an overactive thyroid
• have glaucoma
• have difficulty passing urine
• are taking antidepressant drugs called
monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI’s), or have
taken them within the last 14 days - these are
medicines such as phenelzine, isocarboxazid and
• are currently taking other decongestant drugs (e.g.
ephedrine and xylometazoline) or stimulants (e.g.
Please see your doctor or pharmacist before taking
this medicine if you:
• are pregnant or breastfeeding
• suffer from kidney or liver problems, including
alcoholic liver disease
• have diabetes
• have circulatory disorders such as a condition
called Raynaud’s Phenomenon, which results
from poor circulation in the fingers and toes
• have angina
• have an enlarged prostate gland, as this may
cause more difficulty in passing urine
• have an intolerance to some sugars
• suffer with phenylketonuria, a rare, inherited
If you are taking any of the following
medicines please see your doctor:
• medicines to treat high cholesterol levels which
reduce the amount of fat in the blood such as
• medicines to control feeling sick or being sick
such as metoclopramide or domperidone
• medicines called anti-coagulants, which are
used to thin the blood such as warfarin or other
coumarins – you may take occasional doses of
paracetamol but should consult your doctor if
you need to take it on a regular basis
• barbiturates (for epilepsy or to help you sleep),
such as phenobarbitones
• tricyclic antidepressants such as imipramine, amitriptyline
• medicines to treat heart or circulatory problems,
or to lower blood pressure, (e.g. digoxin,
guanethidine, reserpine, methyldopa)
• beta blockers (e.g. atenolol) or vasodilators (e.g.
• phenothiazines used as sedatives (e.g.
chlorpromazine, pericyazine and fluphenazine)
• if you are going to have a general anaesthetic,
as this may cause changes in heart rhythm.
Please turn over ¯
Other important information:
Do not drink alcohol (beer, wine, spirits etc) while
taking this product.
If you are taking medication, or are under medical
care, consult your doctor before using this medicine.
Long term use of this product is not recommended.
Information about some of the ingredients in this
Contains 2 g sucrose (sugar) per sachet.
If you have been told by your doctor that you have an
intolerance to some sugars contact your doctor before
taking this medicinal product. This should be taken into
account in patients with diabetes.
Contains aspartame (E951), a source of
phenylalanine equivalent to 17 mg per sachet.
May be harmful for people with phenylketonuria.
Each sachet contains 117 mg sodium.
To be taken into consideration by people on a
controlled sodium diet.
3. How to take this medicine
Pour the contents of 1 sachet into a standard mug. Fill
the mug to below the brim with approximately 250 ml (8
fluid oz) of hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until
dissolved and allow to cool to a drinkable temperature.
Adults, the elderly and children 12 years and over:
1 sachet every 4 hours, as required. Do not take more
than 4 sachets (4 doses) in any 24 hour period.
Do not give to children under 12 years.
Do not exceed the stated dose.
If your symptoms persist or worsen, you must see a
doctor or pharmacist.
Immediate medical advice should be sought in the
event of an overdose, even if you feel well,
because of the risk of delayed, serious liver
Go to your nearest hospital casualty department. Take
your medicine and this leaflet with you.
4. Possible side effects
Most people do not have any side effects while taking
this medicine. However, if you experience any of the
followin side effects or an thin else unusual ha ens
1st bar/Left Hand Bar
stop taking the medicine immediately, and see your
doctor or pharmacist.
Rare side effects are:
• allergic reactions such as skin rash
• stomach upsets
• tingling and coolness of the skin
• a faster or slower heart beat
• difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
• nervousness, tremors or convulsions
• a rise in body temperature
• a rise in blood pressure with headache, vomiting
(being sick) and irregular heart beat (palpitations).
More rarely, the following side effects can happen:
• you may become more prone to bleeding, bruising,
fever and infections, such as sore throat and ulcers, due
to changes in your blood.
5. How to store your medicine
Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is
stated on the carton and sachet. The expiry date refers t
the last day of that month.
Do not store above 25ºC.
6. What is in this medicine?
Each 5.2 g sachet of off-white powder, taken as a hot
drink, contains the active ingredients: Paracetamol 1000
mg, Guaifenesin 200 mg and Phenylephrine
Hydrochloride 12.2 mg.
The other ingredients are: sucrose, citric acid, tartaric
acid, sodium citrate, acesulfame potassium (E950),
aspartame (E951), powdered menthol flavour, lemon
flavour and the colour quinoline yellow (E104).
This product is available in pack sizes of 5 or 10 sachets.
7. Who makes this medicine?
This product is distributed by GlaxoSmithKline Consumer
Healthcare, Brentford, TW8 9GS, U.K. and all enquiries
should be sent to this address.
The Marketing Authorisation holder and manufacturer is
Perrigo, Braunton, Devon, EX33 2DL, U.K.
BEECHAMS is a registered trade mark of the
GlaxoSmithKline group of companies.
Text Revised: Jul 2009
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.