UK Edition. Click here for US version.
BAZUKA EXTRA STRENGTH TREATMENT 26% W/W GEL
Active substance(s): SALICYLIC ACID
E x tra Str ength Tr eatment 2 6 % w/w Gel
Please read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this product.
This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to use it
carefully to get the best results from it. Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
1. WHAT BAZUKA EXTRA STRENGTH
TREATMENT GEL IS AND WHAT IT IS
• Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel is a
treatment for warts and verrucas.
• Warts and verrucas are small excessive
growths of skin caused by a type of virus.
Warts often occur on the fingers, or on the
back of the hands. You can recognise the
common wart by the rough ‘cauliflower-like’
appearance of the surface. Verrucas occur
only on the sole of the foot. They can be
painful, and often look like a small white ring
of skin with black dots in the centre. The virus
is very infectious. This means that warts and
verrucas can grow and spread, particularly if
left untreated. The virus can also be transferred
to other parts of the body or from one person
to another (see Section 6 for guidance on how
this can be avoided).
• Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel is suitable
for use by adults, the elderly and children
aged over 2 years. Children under 12 years
should be treated by an adult and treatment
of infants under 2 years is not recommended.
• The active ingredient in this product is
• The active ingredient works by:
• softening the hard skin growth, making it easier
to remove with a pumice stone or emery board;
• helping to kill the virus that causes warts
2. BEFORE YOU USE BAZUKA EXTRA
STRENGTH TREATMENT GEL
Do not use Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel
if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to salicylic acid
or any of the other ingredients of Bazuka Extra
Strength Treatment Gel listed in Section 6.
• Do not use the gel if you have diabetes
or suffer from poor blood circulation to your
hands or feet.
• Do not use the gel anywhere on or near your face,
armpits, breasts, areas of folded skin, bottom or
genital (sex) area.
• Do not use for the treatment of corns and calluses.
• Do not use the gel on birthmarks, moles
(especially pigmented moles), warts with hairs
growing from them, facial warts or any other
spots. If you are unsure whether you have a
wart or verruca that is suitable for treatment
with Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel,
ask your doctor or pharmacist before
Take special care when using this product:
• Apply the gel carefully, to the wart or verruca
only, by squeezing the tube very gently:
• take care not to apply the gel to surrounding
healthy skin, especially on young children’s
delicate skin, because when used incorrectly
it may cause irritation or pain;
• do not apply excessive amounts of gel.
• Keep the gel away from your eyes, nose, and
mouth, and from broken skin, cuts and grazes.
• Avoid spillage as this may cause damage
to you, your clothing and your possessions
(see Section 4):
• do not fold the tube because this may
damage it and make it leak.
• The product is volatile and highly flammable.
Do not use it near flames or ignition sources
(eg burning cigarettes or anything else that
might ignite it).
• Avoid inhaling the vapour from the gel.
Using other medicines
This product is not known to affect, or to be affected
by any other medicines.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before
using this medicine.
Driving and using machinery
Using this product is not known to affect your
ability to drive or use machinery.
3. HOW TO USE BAZUKA EXTRA
STRENGTH TREATMENT GEL
Only use on warts and verrucas, on sites for which
it is recommended.
Before you use this tube of gel for the first
time, open it as follows:
• Find a suitable surface, in case of accidental
• Hold the tube upright, with the cap uppermost
and the base resting on a suitable surface.
• Unscrew and remove the combined white
and red nozzle/cap assembly from the tube.
• Remove the red collar and dispose of it safely.
• Keep the tube upright for 30 seconds.
• Then, without squeezing or over-gripping the
tube, and with it still held upright and away
from your face:
• replace the white and red nozzle/cap
assembly onto the screw thread of the tube
(take care to avoid ‘cross-threading’);
• tighten the nozzle/cap assembly firmly to
pierce the top of the tube;
• briefly loosen the red cap (to release any
slight pressure in the tube) and then retighten.
• Please note that once in place, a small gap will
remain between the base of the nozzle/cap and
the top of the tube.
To use the gel (adults, children and the elderly):
Follow these steps once every day, usually in
the evening. Carry on using the gel in this way until
the wart or verruca disappears:
A. Soak the affected area in warm water for
2 to 3 minutes.
B. Dry the area thoroughly, using your own towel
if you have a wart or verruca (this will help stop
the infection spreading to other people). This
towel should be used for the affected area only.
C. Taking care to avoid squeezing the tube,
remove the protective red cap, leaving
the white nozzle attached to the tube.
In this leaflet:
1. What Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel
is and what it is used for
2. Before you use Bazuka Extra Strength
3. How to use Bazuka Extra Strength
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Bazuka Extra Strength
6. Further information
Carefully apply a thin coating (one or two
drops) of the gel to the top of the wart or
• avoid the gel spreading to the surrounding
healthy skin. If this does occur, wipe it off
straight away with a tissue, and, if necessary,
wash the area;
• allow the gel to dry for a few minutes to form
a small white patch that sticks to the treated
area and is water resistant;
• there is no need to cover the treated area
with a sticking plaster;
• always replace the protective red cap after use;
• wash your hands after touching warts
E. The next evening, carefully peel or pick off
the white patch of dried gel from the wart or
• apply fresh gel as described in steps
A to D above;
• if removal of the white patch is difficult, carefully
re-apply the gel directly over it and leave it to
dry. This will thicken the white patch and make
it easier to remove.
F. Once every week, before applying fresh gel,
gently rub the wart or verruca with the emery
board provided, or a pumice stone. Do not
let anyone else use the emery board or
pumice stone as the infection may spread
G. The length of treatment will vary depending on
the size and resistance of the wart or verruca:
• some may go in a relatively short time;
• some warts and verrucas can require up to
12 weeks treatment before they disappear;
• it is important that you do not give up on
the treatment until the wart or verruca has
disappeared (unless irritation occurs, see
Section 4 below);
• if the wart or verruca worsens during
treatment, or has not disappeared after
12 weeks, ask your doctor for advice.
H. At the end of treatment, if the white patch is
difficult to remove, you can leave it because
it will eventually fall off by itself.
If the gel accidentally gets into the eyes or
mouth, it may cause damage. Rinse the eyes or
mouth with plenty of water. If rinsing one eye, take
care to avoid washing product into the other eye.
Then seek urgent hospital attention.
If you inhale a lot of the vapour from the gel
it may make you feel light-headed. If this happens,
get plenty of fresh air.
If you forget to use Bazuka Extra Strength
Do not worry if you occasionally forget to use this
product, just carry on using it when you remember.
If you have any further questions on the use of this
product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment
Gel can cause side effects although not everybody
• While the gel is working you may feel a slight
tingling sensation and/or some mild tenderness
at the treated area. This is usually temporary, and
in rare cases may appear as a temporary blemish
on the skin.
• If you mistakenly allow the gel to spread onto and
remain in contact with areas of normal skin (see
precautions in Section 2), it may cause irritation.
• If you spill the product on your clothes, fabrics,
jewellery or metal and polished surfaces it may
damage them permanently.
• Stop using this product and tell your doctor
or pharmacist if:
• you experience unacceptable discomfort or
if irritation persists, or
• any of the side effects get serious, or you
notice any other side effects not mentioned
in this leaflet.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side
effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report
side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at:
www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side
effects you can help provide more information on
the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE BAZUKA EXTRA
STRENGTH TREATMENT GEL
• Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
• Do not use Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel
after the expiry date shown on the fold of the
tube and on the carton. The expiry date refers
to the last day of that month.
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Always replace the cap tightly after use.
• The product is highly flammable. Keep it away
from flames or ignition sources.
• Medicines should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no
longer required. These measures will help to
protect the environment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT
BAZUKA EXTRA STRENGTH
What Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment
The active ingredient is salicylic acid 26.0% w/w.
The other ingredients are camphor, povidone,
pyroxylin, ethanol, acetone and isopropyl alcohol.
What Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel
looks like and contents of the pack
The product is a clear colourless gel.
The product is available in a tube containing 6g
of gel. The tube has a special applicator nozzle.
Each pack also includes an emery board.
Warts and verrucas can spread to other parts
of the body, or to other people. To help avoid
• Always wash your hands after touching warts
• Keep the emery board provided, or a pumice
stone, and a separate towel for use on the
affected area. Do not use them anywhere else,
and do not let anyone else use them.
The Marketing Authorisation holder is
Diomed Developments Ltd, Tatmore Place,
Gosmore, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4 7QR, UK.
The Manufacturer is Aeropak, Viking Road,
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31 0NU, UK.
The Distributor is DDD Limited,
94 Rickmansworth Road, Watford, Herts,
WD18 7JJ, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in
To listen to or request a copy of this leaflet in
Braille, large print or audio, please call free of
charge: 0800 198 5000 (UK only).
Please be ready to give the following information:
Bazuka Extra Strength Treatment Gel 00173/0405
This is a service provided by the Royal National
Institute of Blind People (RNIB).
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.