UK Edition. Click here for US version.
BAZUKA EXTRA STRENGTH GEL
Active substance(s): SALICYLIC ACID / SALICYLIC ACID / SALICYLIC ACID
26.0% w/w gel, salicylic acid
Please read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this product.
Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
In this leaflet:
1. What Bazuka Extra Strength Gel is and what
it is used for
2. Before you use Bazuka Extra Strength Gel
3. How to use Bazuka Extra Strength Gel
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Bazuka Extra Strength Gel
6. Further information
1. WHAT BAZUKA EXTRA STRENGTH
GEL IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
• Bazuka Extra Strength Gel is a treatment for
warts, verrucas, corns and calluses.
• Warts and verrucas are small excessive
growths of skin caused by a type of virus.
Warts often occur on the fingers, or on the
back of the hands. You can recognise the
common wart by the rough “cauliflower-like”
appearance of the surface. Verrucas occur
only on the sole of the foot. They can be
painful, and often look like a small white ring
of skin with a black dot in the centre. The virus
is very infectious. This means that warts and
verrucas can grow and spread, particularly if
left untreated. The virus can also be transferred
from one person to another.
• Corns and calluses are hard, thick pads of
skin caused by pressure and friction. They
usually occur on the feet due to poorly fitting
shoes. They can also occur on the hands.
• Bazuka Extra Strength Gel is suitable for use
by adults, children and the elderly.
• The active ingredient in this product is
• The active ingredient works by:
• softening the hard skin growth, making it easier
to remove with a pumice stone or emery board;
• helping to kill the virus that causes warts
• Keep the gel away from your eyes, nose, and
mouth, and from broken skin, cuts and grazes.
• Avoid spilling as this may cause damage
to you, your clothing and your possessions
(see Section 4):
• do not fold the tube because this may
damage it and make it leak.
• The product is volatile and highly flammable.
Do not use it near flames or ignition sources
(eg burning cigarettes or anything else that
might ignite it).
• Avoid inhaling the vapour from the gel.
Using other medicines
This product is not known to affect, or to be affected
by any other medicines.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
This product can be used during pregnancy and
while breast-feeding. The ingredients have been in
widespread use in this and similar preparations for
many years, without reports of problems. However,
safety trials have not been conducted.
Driving and using machinery
Using this product is not known to affect your ability
to drive or use machinery.
3. HOW TO USE BAZUKA EXTRA
Only use on warts, verrucas, corns and calluses
on sites for which it is recommended.
Before you use this tube of gel for the first
time, open it as follows:
• Find a suitable surface, in case of accidental
• Hold the tube upright, with the cap uppermost
and the base resting on a suitable surface.
Do not use Bazuka Extra Strength Gel if you are
allergic (hypersensitive) to salicylic acid or any of
the other ingredients of Bazuka Extra Strength Gel
listed in Section 6.
• Do not use the gel anywhere on or near
your face, armpits, breasts, bottom or
genital (sex) area.
• Do not use the gel on birthmarks, moles,
warts with hairs growing from them, or any
• Do not use the gel if you are diabetic or suffer
from poor blood circulation to your hands or feet.
Take special care when using this product:
• If you are unsure whether you have a wart,
verruca, corn or callus that is suitable for
treatment with Bazuka Extra Strength Gel,
ask your doctor or pharmacist before
• Apply the gel carefully, to the wart, verruca,
corn or callus only, by squeezing the tube
• take care not to apply the gel to surrounding
healthy skin, especially on young children’s
delicate skin, because this may cause irritation;
• do not apply excessive amounts of gel.
• Unscrew and remove the combined white and
yellow nozzle/cap assembly from the tube.
• Remove the red collar and dispose of it safely.
• Keep the tube upright for 30 seconds.
• Then, without squeezing or over-gripping the
tube, and with it still held upright and away
from your face:
• replace the white and yellow nozzle/cap
assembly onto the screw thread of the tube
(take care to avoid “cross-threading”);
• tighten the nozzle/cap assembly firmly to pierce
the top of the tube;
• briefly loosen the yellow cap (to release any
slight pressure in the tube) and then retighten.
• Please note that once in place, a small gap will
remain between the base of the nozzle/cap and
the top of the tube.
To use the gel (adults, children and the elderly):
Follow these steps once every day, usually in the
evening. Carry on using the gel in this way until
the wart, verruca, corn or callus disappears:
A. Soak the affected area in warm water for
2 to 3 minutes.
2. BEFORE YOU USE BAZUKA EXTRA
Dry the area thoroughly, using your own towel
if you have a wart or verruca (this will help stop
the infection spreading to other people).
Taking care to avoid squeezing the tube,
remove the protective yellow cap, leaving
the white nozzle attached to the tube.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Bazuka Extra Strength Gel can
cause side effects although not everybody gets them:
• While the gel is working you may feel a slight
tingling sensation and/or some mild tenderness
at the treated area. This is usually temporary, and
in rare cases may appear as a temporary blemish
on the skin.
• If you mistakenly allow the gel to spread onto
and remain in contact with areas of normal skin
(see precautions in section 2), it may cause
• If you spill the product on your clothes, fabrics,
D. Carefully apply a thin coating (one or two
jewellery or metal and polished surfaces it may
drops) of the gel to the top of the wart, verruca,
damage them permanently.
corn or callus only:
• Stop using this product and tell your doctor or
• avoid the gel spreading to the surrounding
• you experience unacceptable discomfort or if
• allow the gel to dry for a few minutes to form
irritation persists, or
a small white patch that sticks to the treated
• any of the side effects get serious, or you
area and is water resistant;
notice any other side effects not mentioned in
• there is no need to cover the treated area
with a sticking plaster;
Reporting of side effects
• always replace the protective yellow cap
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side
E. The next evening, carefully peel or pick off
effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report
the white patch of dried gel from the wart,
side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at
verruca, corn or callus:
www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side
• apply fresh gel as described in steps
effects you can help provide more information on
A to D above;
• if removal of the white patch is difficult, carefully the safety of this medicine.
re-apply the gel directly over it and leave it to
5. HOW TO STORE BAZUKA EXTRA
dry. This will thicken the white patch and make
it easier to remove.
• Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
F. Once every week, before applying fresh gel,
• Do not use Bazuka Extra Strength Gel after
gently rub the wart, verruca, corn or callus
the expiry date shown on the fold of the tube
with the emery board provided, or a
and on the carton. The expiry date refers to the
last day of that month.
• if you are treating a wart or verruca, do not
• Do not store above 25°C.
let anyone else use the emery board or
• Always replace the cap tightly after use.
pumice stone as the infection may spread • The product is highly flammable. Keep it away
from flames or ignition sources.
G. The length of treatment will vary depending on • Medicines should not be disposed of via
the size and resistance of the wart, verruca,
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
corn or callus:
pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no
• some may go in a relatively short time;
longer required. These measures will help to
• some warts and verrucas can require up to
protect the environment.
12 weeks treatment before they disappear;
6. FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT
• it is important that you do not give up on the
BAZUKA EXTRA STRENGTH GEL
treatment until the wart, verruca, corn or callus
What Bazuka Extra Strength Gel contains:
has disappeared (unless irritation occurs, see
The active ingredient is salicylic acid 26.0% w/w.
section 4 below);
The other ingredients are camphor, povidone,
• if the wart, verruca, corn or callus has not
pyroxylin, ethanol, acetone and isopropyl alcohol.
disappeared after twelve weeks of treatment
What Bazuka Extra Strength Gel looks like and
ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
contents of the pack
H. At the end of treatment, if the white patch is
The product is a clear colourless gel.
difficult to remove, you can leave it because
The product is available in a tube containing 5 g
it will eventually fall off by itself.
of gel. The tube has a special applicator nozzle.
If the gel accidentally gets onto normal skin,
Each pack also includes an emery board.
wipe it off straight away with a tissue, and, if
The Marketing Authorisation holder is
necessary, wash the area.
Diomed Developments Ltd, Tatmore Place,
If the gel accidentally gets into the eyes or
Gosmore, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4 7QR, UK.
mouth, it may cause damage. Rinse the eyes or
The Manufacturer is Aeropak, Viking Road,
mouth with plenty of water. If rinsing one eye, take
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31 0NU, UK.
care to avoid washing product into the other eye.
The Distributor is DDD Limited,
Then seek urgent hospital attention.
94 Rickmansworth Road, Watford, Herts,
If you inhale a lot of the vapour from the gel
it may make you feel light-headed. If this happens, WD18 7JJ, UK.
get plenty of fresh air.
This leaflet was last revised in
If you forget to use Bazuka Extra Strength Gel January 2015.
Do not worry if you occasionally forget to use this
To listen to or request a copy of this leaflet in
product, just carry on using it when you remember. Braille, large print or audio, please call free of
If you have any further questions on the use of this
charge: 0800 198 5000 (UK only).
product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Please be ready to give the following information:
Bazuka Extra Strength 00173/0154
This is a service provided by the Royal National
Institute of Blind People (RNIB).
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.