Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription.
However, you still need to use Askit Powders carefully to get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
• You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve.
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
IN THIS LEAFLET:
1. What Askit Powders is and what it is used for
2. Before you use Askit Powders
3. How to use Askit Powders
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Askit Powders
6. Further information
1. WHAT ASKIT® POWDERS IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
Askit Powders is a powder which contains aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), aloxiprin and
Aspirin and aloxiprin are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS). They are used for
the treatment of pain and reduction of fever and also have anti-inflammatory properties.
Caffeine citrate acts as a mild stimulant.
Askit Powders can be used for the:
• Treatment of mild to moderate pain including headache, migraine, backache (including
lumbago), nerve pain (neuralgia and sciatica), period pain, toothache and sore throat.
• Symptomatic relief of colds and influenza.
• Relief of rheumatic pain, fibrositis, muscular aches and pains, the pain of joint swelling and
stiffness, strains and sprains.
• Effective reduction of high temperature.
2. BEFORE YOU USE ASKIT® POWDERS
DO NOT use Askit Powders if you:
• Are allergic (hypersensitive) to aspirin, any other salicylates (eg aloxiprin), caffeine citrate
or any of the other ingredients of Askit Powders (see Section 6, Further Information).
• Have history of asthma attacks induced by pain relieving or anti-inflammatory medicines
(eg NSAIDS or salicylates).
• Have severe kidney, liver or heart problems.
• Are on a high dose of methotrexate (15mg per week or more). If you are not sure check
with your doctor. Also see ‘Using other medicines’.
• Have a disorder which causes excessive bleeding such as haemophilia.
• Have, or have had, a stomach or duodenal ulcer.
• Are pregnant or breast-feeding, unless advised by a doctor.
Speak to your doctor before taking Askit Powders if you:
• Are allergic (hypersensitive) to any other pain relieving, anti-rheumatics or antiinflammatory medicines (eg NSAIDS). For more information see section 4 ‘Possible Side
• Suffer from tightness in the chest or asthma.
• Have low uric acid excretion, which is commonly associated with gout.
• Have kidney, liver, heart or blood circulation problems.
• Have a history of gastrointestinal disorders (regular stomach upsets).
• Have a history of bleeding from the stomach or bowel.
• Are about to have surgery. Before the operation tell the doctor or surgeon that you are
• Have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars because this
product contains lactose.
• Have a deficiency in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD), since you may
If you are not sure whether any of the above apply to you, speak to a doctor or pharmacist
before taking Askit Powders.
Use in children
There is a possible association between aspirin and Reye’s syndrome when given to children,
Reye’s syndrome is a very rare disease which can be fatal. For this reason aspirin must not be
given to any children under 16 years, unless on the advice of a doctor.
Using other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other
medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Aspirin and aloxiprin can affect the way in which some medicines work. These medicines
• Any pain relieving or anti-inflammatory medicines.
• Medication to prevent blood clotting (eg warfarin, heparin, ticlopidine).
• Medication to treat heart problems or to lower blood pressure (eg ACE inhibitors or
• Medicines to treat gout.
• Diuretics (to treat water retention).
• Medication to treat epilepsy (eg sodium valproate, phenytoin).
• Medication to lower blood sugar if you are diabetic.
• Methotrexate (to treat psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease and some types of
• Some antidepressants known as SSRIs (eg fluoxetine, paroxetine).
• Medication to treat Addison’s disease (eg corticosteroids except hydrocortisone).
Taking Askit Powders with food and drink
Avoid taking alcohol while taking Askit Powders.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Do not use Askit Powders if you are pregnant, breast-feeding or trying for a baby unless
directed by your doctor. Aspirin can prolong labour and affect blood clotting in the mother or
Always ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
3. HOW TO USE ASKIT® POWDERS
Follow the directions below closely. You should ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are
unsure how to use this medicine.
Adults and children over 16:
Mix the contents of one sachet in a glass of water (200ml) and stir before taking.
Alternatively, you can place the contents of one sachet on your tongue and swallow it with a
drink of water.
One sachet to be taken every 4 hours as required.
You should not take more than 6 sachets in 24 hours. Make sure you follow the dosage
instructions and do not take more than the stated dose.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure how to take this medicine. If symptoms
persist, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
If you take more Askit Powders than you should
If you think you have taken too much Askit Powders you should contact your nearest
Accident and Emergency Department or your doctor immediately.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Askit Powders can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
If you experience any of the following side effects, stop taking Askit Powders and go to your
nearest Accident and Emergency Department or doctor immediately:
• An allergic reaction. Signs of allergic reaction may include: difficulty in breathing or
swallowing, swelling of the face, lips, throat or tongue, skin rashes or itching, large or itchy
wheals on the skin, attacks of sneezing, runny nose and itching eyes or water retention, heart
• Mild stomach pain and heartburn. These are the most common side effects but can usually
be avoided if aspirin is taken with food.
• Stomach ulcer or perforation, stomach bleeding, which may result in black or tarry stools.
Some people may experience constipation.
• Increased bleeding/blood thinning (if you cut or injure yourself) including bruises, nose
bleeds, bleeding gums.
• Internal bleeding which may result in anaemia causing weakness, increased tiredness and
• An asthma attack if you are asthmatic and sensitive to aspirin.
• Dizziness or ringing in the ears.
• Changes in normal liver activity in blood tests (very rare).
• Runny nose, blocked nose.
• Kidney problems
Reporting of side effects:
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any
possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the
Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can
help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE ASKIT® POWDERS
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not store above 25°C. Store in a dry place.
This product should be stored in its original carton.
Do not use Askit Powders after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and on the
The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required.
These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What Askit Powders contains
The active substances are aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) (530mg), aloxiprin (140mg) and
caffeine citrate (110mg).
The other ingredients are lactose, sodium lauryl sulphate and colloidal anhydrous silica.
What Askit Powders looks like and contents of the pack
Askit Powders are available in cartons containing 4 or 8 sachets of white powder. Not all
pack sizes may be marketed.
Marketing Authorisation Holder
Bayer plc, Consumer Care Division, Bayer
House, Strawberry Hill, Newbury, Berkshire
RG14 1JA, United Kingdom
William Ransom & Son plc, Witham, U.K.
This leaflet was last revised in July 2015.
Askit® is a registered trademark. Bayer