UK Edition. Click here for US version.
ASCORBIC TABLETS BP 500MG
Active substance(s): ASCORBIC ACID
Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500 mg
Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription. Nevertheless, you still need to use
Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500 mg carefully to get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in
this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500mg are and what they are used for.
2. Before you take Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500mg.
3. How to take Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500mg.
4. Possible side effects
5. How to Store Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500mg
6. Further information
1. What Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500 mg are and what they are used for:
• Each tablet contains 500 mg of the active ingredient, ascorbic acid.
• Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) is a nutritional supplement. Ascorbic Acid tablets are for
oral administration and are intended for the prevention of scurvy or for use where
vitamin C deficiency might be expected.
2. Before you take Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500 mg:
Do not take Ascorbic Acid:
• If you are allergic to any of the ingredients contained in the tablets.
• If you suffer from hyperoxaluria (a condition where too much oxalate is present in
Take special care with Ascorbic acid:
• If you are pregnant or breast-feeding
• If you have or have had kidney stones
• This product contains lactose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an
intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
If any of the above applies to you, speak to your doctor before taking these tablets.
If you see another doctor, need blood or urine tests, or go into hospital, let your doctor
know what medicines you are taking.
Taking other medicines:
Tell your doctor if any of the following apply to you:
• You are taking drugs that thin the blood (anti-coagulants)
• You are taking drugs called amphetamines
• You are taking desferrioxamine (used to treat excessive absorption and storage of
iron and some blood abnormalities)
• You are taking an oral contraceptive that contains oestrogen (the ‘pill’)
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, or have recently taken, any other
medicines- even those not prescribed.
3. How to take Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500 mg:
For adults, the elderly and children over 12 years old:
Take one to five tablets daily, in divided doses, preferably with food.
For children aged 4-12 years:
Take half to two and a half tablets daily, preferably with food.
Do not exceed the stated dose.
If you are elderly, it is particularly important to take this medicine exactly as directed
by the doctor.
Consult your doctor immediately if you have taken too many tablets.
If you have missed a dose, do not double-up on a dose to make up for the one you
4.Possible side effects:
In most cases, taking Ascorbic Acid Tablets as recommended does not cause any
problems. However, like all medicines, Ascorbic Acid can have side effects.
Too many tablets may cause diarrhoea or they may have a diuretic effect (passing water
If you experience these or any other unusual effect, stop taking the tablets and tell your
doctor or pharmacist at once.
5.How to store Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500 mg:
• Store in a dry place below 25°C.
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the package.
• Keep out of the reach and sight of children
What Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500 mg contain
Each tablet contains the active substance Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 500.0mg. The
tablets also contain lactose, potato starch, syrup, microcrystalline cellulose, talc and
What Ascorbic Acid Tablets 500 mg look like and contents of the pack
Ascorbic Acid Tablets are plain white bi-convex tablets.
Ascorbic Acid Tablets are available in tubs of 28,50,100 or 500 and blister packs of 28.
Marketing Authorisation Holder:
Strides Pharma Limited, Themistokli Dervi , Julia House, CY-1066 Nicosia
Norbrook Laboratories Umited,Newry,Co.Down, Northern Ireland.
Legal Category: GSL
Leaflet revised: October 2012