UK Edition. Click here for US version.
AQUEOUS IODINE ORAL SOLUTION BP
Active substance(s): IODINE / POTASSIUM IODIDE
ingredients listed in section 6.
• Or you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
• This medicine is not to be used as a long-term
• The normal dose is a very small amount.
Measure out the correct amount carefully
using a 1ml syringe supplied by the
pharmacist. See section 3.
• Take extra care when giving this medicine to
• Seek immediate medical help if you
accidentally take too much.
• Having tests carried out on your thyroid as
this medicine may interfere with the results.
Addition of reporting of side
is a dark brown
It is dispensed for you by the pharmacist.
Marketing authorisation holder and
Thornton and Ross Ltd., Huddersfield,
HD7 5QH, UK.
This leaflet was last revised in October 2014
210 x 148mm (70 x 148mm folded)
The active ingredients are:
iodine 5% w/v, potassium iodide 10% w/v.
The other ingredient is:
Artwork No 536464
What is in this medicine
6. Further information
• Keep it out of the sight and reach of children.
• Do not store above 25°C.
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the
• Medicine should not be disposed of via
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
pharmacist how to dispose of any unused
medicine. These measures will help to protect
5. Storing this medicine
Keyline (Does not print)
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also
report side effects directly via the Yellow Card
Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this medicine.
PCP Header Box
Take the next dose as soon as you remember.
Do not take a double dose. You can then carry
on with the normal dose at the correct time.
No. these2or any other side
included above, stop use and tell your doctor or
pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
If you forget a dose
• Spots or acne-like skin eruptions.
x 148mm folded)
iarrhoea which 210
If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor
immediately. Take the pack with you to show
which medicine you have swallowed.
Effects on the mouth may occur including:
• An increase in saliva.
Productor pain. Aqueous Iodine Oral Solution
welling and inflammation of the throat.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before
using this medicine if you are pregnant, might
be pregnant or are breastfeeding. Aqueous
Iodine Oral Solution should not be used in
pregnancy unless the doctor has told you to do
If you take too much
Like all medicines Aqueous Iodine Oral Solution
can have side effects, although these don’t
Allergic reactions may occur including:
• Bleeding or bruising of the skin.
• Pains in the joints.
• Enlarged lymph nodes.
• An increase in the number of white blood cells
in the blood.
• Cold-like symptoms.
• Excessive tears or irritation and inflammation
in the eyes.
• Pain or difficulty in speaking.
• Pain in the salivary glands.
Pregnant or breastfeeding….
DO NOT EXCEED THE STATED DOSE.
4. Possible side effects
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if
you or your child are….
Adults, the elderly and children
• Measure 0.1 – 0.3ml in a small 1ml syringe
and add it to the water or milk.
• Repeat three times a day for 6 days.
• Take extra care when giving this medicine to
Data Matrix: 22647308 VERIFIED
Do not use the medicine if you or
your child have….
Do not take….
• For longer than 6 days before the operation
unless the doctor tells you to do so. See
• If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Now read the rest of the leaflet before you
use this medicine. It includes other
information which might be especially
important for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it
• Ask your pharmacist if you need any more
information or advice.
• If you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
REVERSE FACE TOP
2. Before you use this
• The normal dose is given below but your
doctor may prescribe a different amount for
you. Always follow the instructions given by
the doctor or pharmacist.
• Each time you take this medicine, dilute it in a
glass of water or milk and drink it all straight
Aqueous Iodine Oral Solution
FRONT FACE TOP
Important information about Aqueous Iodine
• This medicine is taken before an operation to
correct an overactive thyroid gland. The
doctor will decide how much you should take
and how often.
Aqueous Iodine Oral Solution is taken before an
operation to correct an overactive thyroid gland.
It helps reduce the risk of bleeding during the
3. How to use this medicine
(iodine, potassium iodide)
1. What the medicine is for
MHRA Header Box
Aqueous Iodine Oral