ALVERINE-SIMETICONE LABORATOIRES GALENIQUES VERNIN 60 MG/300 MG SOFT CAPSULESView full screen / Print PDF » Download PDF ⇩
60 mg / 300 mg, soft capsules
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start taking this medicine because it contains important information for you.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- This medicine has been prescribed for you only. Do not pass it on to others. It may harm them, even if their signs of illness are the same as yours.
- If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. See section 4.
In this leaflet:
1. What ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules
are and what they are used for
2. Before you take ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules
3. How to take ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules
6. Further information
1. WHAT ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules ARE AND WHAT
THEY ARE USED FOR
ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules contains two active ingredients:
• alverine that belongs to a class of drugs called musculotropic antispasmodics,
• and simeticone that belongs to a class of medicines called antiflatulents.
This medicine reduces the muscle contractions of the gut and flatulence (gas).
It is used to relieve pain associated with contractions (spasms) of the
intestine and bloating.
This medicine is for adults only.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules
Do not take ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules
• If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to one of the active substances
(alverine) or any of the other ingredients of ALVERINE-SIMETICONE,
soft capsules. You will find the list of components in section 6.
• If you have had any unwanted effects after taking this medicine.
• If you are allergic to peanut or soya, because ALVERINE-SIMETICONE
contains soya lecithin.
• If you have been told by your doctor that you have paralytic ileus.
• If you are suffering from severe constipation.
• If you are pregnant.
• If you are breastfeeding.
Consult your doctor if you have developed new symptoms, or if your
symptoms worsen, or if they do not improve after 2-week treatment.
Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently
taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
The safety of alverine citrate for use during pregnancy and breast-feeding
has not been established. Hence, it should be taken only if your doctor
advises to do so.
Please ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
ALVERINE-SIMETICONE contains soya lecithin.
If you are allergic to peanut or soya, do not use this medicinal product.
3. HOW TO TAKE ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules
Always take ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules exactly as your
doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if
you are not sure.
The usual dose is 1 capsule 2 or 3 times a day.
Method of administration
This medicine is to be taken orally at the beginning of meals. Swallow the
capsule with a glass of water.
If you take more ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules than you should
Consult your doctor.
If you forget to take ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten capsule.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your
doctor or pharmacist.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules can cause
unwanted effects, although not everybody gets them.
The following side effects may occur rarely:
• an allergic reaction that is recognizable by a reaction in the skin
(urticaria), sometimes up to a swelling in the neck (laryngeal oedema) or
until malaise (shock). In this case, you must refer to your doctor
• a liver damage, which disappears after discontinuation of treatment.
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not
listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This
includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also
report side effects directly via Yellow Card Scheme Website:
www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help
provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
5. HOW TO STORE ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules after the expiry date
which is stated on the carton.The expiry date refers to the last day of that
Store below 25°C.
Keep in outer carton in order to protect from light.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household
waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer
required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules contain
- The active substances for one soft capsule are: alverine citrate (60 mg)
and simeticone (300 mg).
- The components of the capsule shell are: gelatin, glycerol and titanium
dioxide and soya lecithin and fractionated coconut oil are used as external
What ALVERINE-SIMETICONE, soft capsules look like and contents of
This medicine is in the form of whitish and oblong soft capsule.
Each box contains 10, 20, 30, 40, 60 or 90 soft capsules in blisters.
Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Marketing Authorisation Holder
Laboratoires GALENIQUES VERNIN
20, rue Louis-Charles Vernin
77190 Dammarie-les-Lys - FRANCE
Catalent France Beinheim SA
74, rue Principale,
This medicinal products is authorised in the Member States of the
EEA under the following names:
Belgium - ALVERINE-SIMETICONE
Ireland - ALVERINE-SIMETICONE
This leaflet was last approved in 11/2014.
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.