ADULT MELTUS FOR CHESTY COUGHS AND CATARRH
Adult Meltus for Chesty Coughs & Catarrh Oral Solution
Guaifenesin 100mg, Cetyloyridinium chloride 2.5mg, and Purified Honey 500mg
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
Please read this leaflet carefully before taking Adult Meltus for Chesty Coughs and
• Keep this leaflet, you may wish to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
What this medicine is and what it is used for?
This product contains an expectorant to loosen mucous and relieve bronchial
congestion and an antiseptic for mouth and throat infections in a soothing honey and
For the symptomatic relief of coughs and catarrh associated with influenza, colds
and mild throat infections.
Before taking this medicine
Do not take…
• If you are allergic to any of the ingredients in this product. See ‘What this
medicine contains’ for the full list of ingredients.
• This medicine with any other cough & cold medication
Stop use if your cough lasts for more than 5 days, comes back, or is accompanied by fever,
rash, or persistent headache.
As with all medicines, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product:
- you are pregnant or breast-feeding
- you are suffering from a chronic cough, asthma or are suffering from an acute asthma
Important information about some of the ingredients…
- This product contains 1.75g of sucrose and 1.35g of glucose. If you have been told by
your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before
taking this medicinal product.
- This product contains 9% v/v of alcohol. Each 5 ml dose can contain up to 380mg of
alcohol. Alcohol can be harmful for those suffering from alcoholism and should be taken
into account in pregnant or breast-feeding women, children and high risk groups such as
patients with liver disease or epilepsy.
Please speak to your doctor if you are having any urine test since Guaifenesin may affect the
results of some tests.
How to take this medicine
Adults and children 12 years and over:
- One or two 5ml spoonfuls
- To be taken slowly every 3 or 4 hours
Children under 12 years:
- Not recommended for children under 12 years.
If you take too much of this medicine…
If you take too much of this medicine than you should, speak to your doctor or pharmacist
Possible side effects
As with all medicines this product can have side effects in some people.
- Stomach disturbances have been reported
- Nausea, vomiting and hypersensitivity reactions
If you feel you are reacting badly to this medicine in any way, or notice any side effects not
listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist. Also you can help to make sure that
medicines remain as safe as possible by reporting any unwanted side effects via the internet at
www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. Alternatively you can call Freephone 0808 100 3352
(available from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays to Fridays) or fill in a paper form available from
your local pharmacy.
How to store this medicine
- Keep out of the sight and reach of children
- Do not store above 25°C.
- Do not use after the expiry date shown on the label and the carton.
- If you find that you still have this medicine after its expiry date, return it your local
pharmacist who will dispose of it properly.
What this medicine contains
Each 5ml dose contains 100mg of the active ingredient guaifenesin, 2.5mg of the active
ingredient cetylpyridinium chloride and 0.5mg of the active ingredient purified honey.
It also contains sucrose (1.75g), glycerol, ethanol 96%, levomenthol, chloroform, caramel
(E150), glucose liquid 1.35g and purified water.
An opalescent brown liquid contained in bottles of 100ml & 200ml.
Marketing Authorisation Holder: Cupal Ltd, 103-105 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1
Manufactured by: Famar A.V.E, 49th National Road, Athens-Lamia, Avlona Attiki, 19011,
SSL International plc, Whitehouse Industrial Park, Traynor Way, Peterlee, SR8 2RU, UK.
Date of revision: January 2013
SSL International plc, Trafford Park, Manchester, M41 7HA, UK
Meltus is a trademark of the SSL Group.