ACTIVOX IVY SYRUP
IVY LEAF EXTRACT 50 mg
Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to take ACTIVOX Ivy syrup carefully to
get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist, doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner if you need more information or advice.
• You must contact a doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner if your symptoms worsen or do not improve
after 7 days.
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your
doctor or pharmacist.
IN THIS LEAFLET:
1. What ACTIVOX Ivy syrup is and what it is used for
2. Before you take ACTIVOX Ivy syrup
3. How to take ACTIVOX Ivy syrup
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store ACTIVOX Ivy syrup
6. Further information
1. WHAT ACTIVOX IVY SYRUP IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
ACTIVOX Ivy syrup is a traditional herbal medicinal product used to relieve chesty coughs associated with the
common cold based on traditional use only.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE ACTIVOX IVY SYRUP
DO NOT TAKE ACTIVOX IVY SYRUP IF:
- You are allergic (hypersensitive) to ivy leaf or any of the other ingredients of ACTIVOX Ivy syrup (see section 6).
- You are under 12 years old.
TAKE SPECIAL CARE WITH ACTIVOX IVY SYRUP:
- Tell your doctor or a healthcare practitioner before taking ACTIVOX Ivy Syrup if you:
• suffer from gastritis (inflammation of the lining of the stomach) or from stomach ulcer,
• are aldeady taking a medicine to help stop your coughing such as codeine or dextromethorphan,
• suffer from diabetes.
- Consult your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner if you have difficulties breathing (shortness of breath),
have fever or bloody phlegm.
TAKING OTHER MEDICINES:
Studies investigating the effects of ACTIVOX Ivy syrup on other medicines have not been performed.
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines,
including medicines obtained without prescription.
PREGNANCY BREAST-FEEDING AND FERTILITY:
Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before
taking any medicine.
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES:
No studies have been performed. However it is unlikely to affect your ability to drive or use machines.
ACTIVOX Ivy syrup contains sucrose: if you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some
sugars, please contact your doctor before taking this medicinal product.
ACTIVOX Ivy syrup contains sodium methyl parahydroxybenzoate and sodium propyl parahydroxybenzoate:
they may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed).
ACTIVOX Ivy syrup contains potassium less than 1 mmol and is essentially “potassium free”.
3. HOW TO TAKE ACTIVOX IVY SYRUP
For oral use only. Shake the bottle well each time before use. Take this
medicine as follows. If you are not sure what to do, consult your doctor,
pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner. The recommended dose is:
Adults, the elderly, children aged 12 years and over: One 5 ml spoonful 2
times per day, morning and evening.
For a 5 ml dose the measuring spoon should be filled completely.
Duration of use: ACTIVOX Ivy Syrup should not be used for more than 2 weeks.
Consult your doctor or qualified healthcare practitioner if your symptoms worsen or if symptoms do not improve after
using the product for 7 days, if shortness of breath, fever or bloody phlegm occur, if side-effects listed in section 4
become serious or if side-effects not listed in section 4 occur. Do not take more than the stated dose.
N-ACTIVOX SYRUP AMM-UK.indd 1
IF YOU TAKE MORE ACTIVOX IVY SYRUP THAN YOU SHOULD
If you take more than the recommended dose, you may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, or you may feel
excitable. In this case, consult your doctor, pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner and take this leaflet with you.
IF YOU FORGET TO TAKE ACTIVOX IVY SYRUP
Do not take twice the dose but continue to take the usual dose at the usual time.
IF YOU STOP TAKING ACTIVOX IVY SYRUP
You can stop taking ACTIVOX Ivy syrup at any time.
If you have any questions or are unsure about anything, please ask your doctor, pharmacist or qualified healthcare
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines ACTIVOX Ivy syrup can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
They are listed below:
Mild gastro-intestinal complaints such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea; allergic reactions such as skin rash, red
itchy skin, red enlarged capillaries on the face and other parts of the body and shortness of breath may occur
when using ACTIVOX Ivy syrup.
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your
doctor or pharmacist.
You can help to make medicines safer by reporting any side effects to the Yellow Card Scheme at
www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. Alternatively you can get a paper Yellow Card form from your GP's surgery
or pharmacy, or call free phone 0808 100 3352 (available 10am-2pm Monday-Friday).
5. HOW TO STORE ACTIVOX IVY SYRUP
Keep out of the reach and sight of children. There are no specific storage conditions.
Do not use ACTIVOX Ivy syrup after the expiry date which is stated on the carton after “Exp”.The expiry date refers to
the last day of that month. After the first opening of the bottle, the product must be used within 3 months.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of
medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What ACTIVOX Ivy syrup contains
- The active substance is an ivy leaf extract. Each 5 ml of syrup contains 50 mg of extract (as dry extract) from ivy
leaf (Hedera helix L.)(4-6:1).
The extraction solvent is ethanol 30% (V/V)
- The other ingredients are : Sucrose, Citric acid monohydrate, Carmellose sodium, Caramel flavour, Caramel colour,
Sodium methyl parahydroxybenzoate, Sodium propyl parahydroxybenzoate, Potassium sorbate, Water purified.
Each 5 ml of syrup contains 1.7 g sucrose and 3 mg potassium.
What ACTIVOX Ivy syrup looks like and contents of the pack
ACTIVOX Ivy syrup is a brown liquid with a caramel odour.
Each bottle contains 100, 150 or 200 ml of syrup.
Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Traditional Herbal Registration Holder and Manufacturer
Lid de Carros Le Broc-1ère avenue, 2709 m
Tél.: +33 (0)4 93 29 11 28 - Fax.:+33 (0)4 93 29 11 62
Distributed in UK by:
Unit 7 Decade Close
High Carr Business Park
Newcastle under Lyme
Tel: +44 (0) 1782 564512
Traditional Herbal Registration Number: THR 12297/0017
This leaflet was last revised in August 2012.
For large print, call +44 (0) 1782 564512 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
N-ACTIVOX SYRUP AMM-UK.indd 2
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.