Step 4: Read and complete the decision guide to learn more about your symptoms.
Good -- being young and being a non-smoker makes cancer very unlikely. We can consider less dangerous causes of swallowing difficultly.
Injury of the esophagus from acid reflux is very common.
Consider the following symptoms:
- Sharp or burning chest pain behind the breastbone (heartburn)
- Chest heaviness
- Regurgitation of partially digested or sour-tasting stomach contents
- Excessive saliva production
- Persistent cough
- Hoarse voice or lost voice
- A need to repeatedly clear your throat
- Asthma (wheezing)
Are you having any of the symptoms listed above?