Edetate calcium disodium Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to edetate calcium disodium: parenteral injection
- Risk of potentially fatal toxic effects.b (See Fatality Risk and also see Renal Effects under Cautions.)
- Possible lethal increase in intracranial pressure following IV infusion in patients with lead encephalopathy and cerebral edema.b Manufacturer recommends IM administration in this patient population.b If administered IV, avoid rapid infusion.b (See Administration under Dosage and Administration and see Fatality Risk under Cautions.)
- Follow dosage schedule; do not exceed recommended daily dose.b
- Lead encephalopathy occurs rarely in adults; occurs more often in pediatric patients, in whom encephalopathy may be incipient and overlooked and results in high mortality rate.b
Side effects include:
Injection site pain.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to edetate calcium disodium: compounding powder, injectable solution
Frequency not reported: Acute necrosis of proximal tubules (which may result in fatal nephrosis), infrequent changes in distal tubules and glomeruli, nephrotoxicity, damage to the reticuloendothelial system with hemorrhagic tendencies (from excessive dosages)[Ref]
Increases in SGOT and SGPT usually return to normal within 48 hours after treatment discontinuation.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Mild increases in SGOT and SGPT[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Rash, exfoliative dermatitis and other toxic skin and mucus membrane reactions[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Fever, malaise, fatigue, febrile reactions[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Chills, myalgia, arthralgia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Pain at intramuscular injection site[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
2. "Product Information. Calcium Disodium Versenate (edetate calcium disodium)." Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation, Scottsdale, AZ.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about edetate calcium disodium
Other brands: Calcium Disodium Versenate