Biavax II Side Effects
Generic Name: mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine
Note: This document contains side effect information about mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Biavax II.
Applies to mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine: intramuscular powder for solution
Along with its needed effects, mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine:
Symptoms of allergic reaction- rare
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing
- itching, especially of feet or hands
- reddening of skin, especially around ears
- swelling of eyes, face, or inside of nose
- unusual tiredness or weakness (sudden and severe)
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine:
- Pain or tenderness of eyes
- Bruising or purple spots on skin
- fever over 103 °F (39.4 °C)
- headache (severe or continuing)
- pain, numbness, or tingling of hands, arms, legs, or feet
- pain, tenderness, or swelling in testicles and scrotum
- stiff neck
Some side effects of mumps virus vaccine / rubella virus vaccine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Burning or stinging at place of injection
- skin rash
- swelling of glands in neck
- Aches or pain in joints
- headache (mild)
- itching, swelling, redness, tenderness, or hard lump at place of injection
- runny nose
- sore throat
- vague feeling of bodily discomfort
The above side effects (especially aches or pain in joints) are more likely to occur in adults, particularly women.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.