Benzocaine topical Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to benzocaine topical: topical application cream, topical application gel/jelly, topical application liquid, topical application ointment, topical application solution, topical application spray, topical application wax
Other dosage forms:
- cream, film, gel/jelly, gum, liquid, lotion, lozenge/troche, ointment, paste, powder for suspension, solution, spray, swab, tablet disintegrating
Along with its needed effects, benzocaine topical may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking benzocaine topical:
- Bluish color of the fingernails, lips, skin, palms, or nail beds
Incidence Not Known
- Blistering, burning, crusting, dryness, or flaking of the skin
- cracking, itching, redness, or stinging of the skin
- dark urine
- difficulty with breathing
- difficulty with walking
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- inability to feel hands and feet
- irritation of the nose
- itching, scaling, severe redness, soreness, or swelling of the skin
- pale skin
- rapid heart rate
- red, sore eyes
- shortness of breath
- sore throat
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness
- unusual tiredness or weakness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to benzocaine topical: compounding powder, mucous membrane gel, mucous membrane liquid, mucous membrane lozenge, mucous membrane paste, mucous membrane powder for reconstitution, mucous membrane spray, mucous membrane swab, mucous membrane tablet disintegrating, rectal ointment, rectal suppository, topical cream, topical gel, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical ointment, topical spray, topical stick, topical swab
Local side effects have included burning and stinging.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included angioedema.
Hematologic side effects have included methemoglobinemia. FDA continues to receive reports of methemoglobinemia from postmarketing reporting.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Vagisil Feminine Cream (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
2. "Product Information. Americaine Hemorrhoidal (benzocaine topical)." Novartis Consumer Health, Parsippany, NJ.
3. "Product Information. Hurricaine (benzocaine topical)." Beutlich, Waukegan, IL.
4. "Product Information. Cepacol Lozenges (cetylpyridinium topical)." GlaxoSmithKline Inc, Oakville, IA.
5. "Product Information. Lanacane (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
6. "Product Information. Dermoplast (benzocaine topical)." MedTech Inc, Irvington, NY.
7. "Product Information. Lanacane with Aloe (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
8. "Product Information. Chloraseptic (benzocaine topical)." Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Mason, OH.
9. "Product Information. Solarcaine Plus Aloe (benzocaine topical)." Schering-Plough Healthcare Products, Memphis, TN.
10. "Product Information. Outgro Pain Relief (benzocaine topical)." MedTech Inc, Irvington, NY.
11. Throm MJ, Stevens MD, Hansen C "Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia in two patients: interdisciplinary collaboration, management, and near misses." Pharmacotherapy 27 (2007): 1206-14
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about benzocaine topical
- Benzocaine topical Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- 17 Reviews
- Drug class: topical anesthetics
- Benzocaine topical
- Benzocaine Orally Disintegrating Tablets
- Benzocaine Lozenges
- Benzocaine Oral Cream, Gel, Liquid, and Ointment
- Benzocaine Oral Spray
- ... +8 more