The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Kaolin / Pectin
Class: Antidiarrheal combination
- Suspension 5.2 g kaolin, 2 g pectin/30 mL
- Suspension 90 g kaolin, 2 g pectin/30 mL
Absorbs fluid, binds and removes digestive tract irritants.
Up to 90% of pectin is decomposed in the GI tract.
Indications and Usage
Symptomatic treatment of diarrhea.
Use in infants and children younger than 3 yr of age without health care provider guidance; use for longer than 2 days or in presence of high fever; intestinal obstruction; colitis.
Dosage and Administration
All doses are given after each loose bowel movement.Adults
PO 60 to 120 mL (regular strength) or 45 to 90 mL (concentrate) after each loose bowel movement.Children 6 to 12 yr of age
PO 3 to 60 mL (regular strength) or 30 mL (concentrate) per dose.Children 3 to 5 yr of age
PO 15 to 30 mL (regular strength) or 15 mL (concentrate) per dose.
- Shake suspension well before pouring.
Drug InteractionsClindamycin, digoxin, lincomycin penicillamine (oral)
Decreased absorption may occur; separate administration times by 2 to 4 h.
Laboratory Test Interactions
None well documented.
Constipation; fecal impaction (especially infants and elderly).
Category B .
Kaolin and pectin are not absorbed from GI tract; transfer into breast milk is not expected.
- Instruct patient to take medication after each diarrheal or loose stool.
- Advise patient to notify health care provider if diarrhea persists for longer than 48 h or if fever develops.
- Caution patient not to exceed recommended dosage.
Copyright © 2009 Wolters Kluwer Health.