The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Bepotastine BesilatePronunciation: BEP-oh-TAS-teen BES-il-ate
Class: Mast cell stabilizer
- Solution, ophthalmic 1.5%
A highly selective histamine H 1 antagonist that inhibits the release of histamine from mast cells.
T max is 1 to 2 h; C max is approximately 7.3 ng/mL.
Protein binding is approximately 55%.
Not extensively metabolized.
Approximately 75% to 90% excreted unchanged in the urine.
Indications and Usage
Temporary relief of itching caused by allergic conjunctivitis.
Dosage and AdministrationAdults and Children 2 yr of age and older
Ophthalmic 1 drop in affected eye(s) twice daily.
- For topical ophthalmic use only.
- Do not instill while wearing contact lenses. Lenses may be reinserted 10 min following administration.
Store between 59° and 77°F. Keep bottle tightly closed.
Laboratory Test Interactions
None well documented.
Headache (2% to 5%).
Eye irritation, nasopharyngitis (2% to 5%).
Mild taste (25%).
Category C .
Safety and effectiveness in children younger than 2 yr of age have not been established.
No differences in safety or effectiveness have been observed.
- Advise patient that usual dose is 1 drop in affected eye(s) twice daily.
- Teach patient proper technique for instilling eye drops: wash hands; do not allow dropper to touch eye; tilt head back and look up; pull lower eyelid down; instill prescribed number of drops; close eye for 1 to 2 min and apply gentle pressure to bridge of nose; do not rub eye.
- Advise patients who wear contact lenses to remove their lenses before instilling this medicine and to wait at least 10 min after instilling eye drop before inserting their lenses. Also, caution these patients not to wear their lens if eye is red.
- Advise patient to inform health care provider if experiencing side effects, or if eye symptoms do not improve or they worsen.
Copyright © 2009 Wolters Kluwer Health.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.