The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Antipyrine / Benzocaine
Class: Otic preparation
- Solution, otic antipyrine 5.5%, benzocaine 1.4%, glycerin, oxyquinoline
- Solution, otic antipyrine 5.4% and benzocaine 1.4%
- Solution, otic antipyrine 5.4%, benzocaine 1%, glycerin 2%, and zinc 1%
- Solution, otic antipyrine 5.4%, benzocaine 1.4%, polycosanol 0.0097%, acetic acid, aluminium acetate, glycerin
- Solution, otic antipyrine 5.4%, benzocaine 1%, glycerin 2%, zinc 1%
- Solution, otic antipyrine 5.4%, benzocaine 1.4%, polycosanol 0.0097%, acetic acid, glycerin
Indications and Usage
Treatment of acute otitis media of various etiologies; removal of cerumen.
Perforated tympanic membrane or discharge; hypersensitivity to any of the components or related substances.
Dosage and AdministrationAcute Otitis Media
Adults and Children
Otic Instill solution to run along the wall of the ear canal until filled, then insert cotton pledget moistened with the otic solution into meatus. Repeat every 1 to 2 h until pain and congestion is relieved.Removal of Cerumen
Adults and Children
Otic Instill solution 3 times/day for 2 or 3 days.
- Avoid contaminating the dropper with material from the ear, fingers, and other sources.
- Warm the bottle to body temperature.
- A cotton pledget moistened with the product should be inserted into the meatus after removal of earwax.
Store between 68° and 77°F. Protect from light, heat, and freezing.
None well documented.
Category C .
- Remind patient, family, or caregiver that medication is for use in the ear only.
- Teach patient proper technique for instilling ear drops: wash hands; do not allow dropper to touch ear. Tilt head to side or lie on side; instill prescribed number of drops; moisten cotton pledget and insert into ear canal; replace dropper.
- Advise patient, family, or caregiver to only use supplied dropper and to not rinse dropper after use.
- Advise patient, family, or caregiver to notify health care provider if symptoms do not improve or if irritation, inflammation, or itching of ear canal is noted.
Copyright © 2009 Wolters Kluwer Health.