Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold and Cough Formula
Medically reviewed on November 9, 2017
Dosage form: tablet, effervescent
Ingredients: ASPIRIN 325mg, CHLORPHENIRAMINE MALEATE 2mg, DEXTROMETHORPHAN HYDROBROMIDE 10mg, PHENYLEPHRINE BITARTRATE 7.8mg
Labeler: Bayer HealthCare LLC.
NDC Code: 0280-1420
Disclaimer: Most OTC drugs are not reviewed and approved by FDA, however they may be marketed if they comply with applicable regulations and policies. FDA has not evaluated whether this product complies.
|Active ingredients (in each tablet)||Purposes|
|Aspirin 325 mg (NSAID)||Pain reliever/fever reducer|
|Chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg||Antihistamine|
|Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg||Cough suppressant|
|Phenylephrine bitartrate 7.8 mg||Nasal decongestant|
- temporarily relieves these symptoms due to a cold with cough:
- minor aches and pains
- runny nose
- nasal and sinus congestion
- sore throat
- temporarily reduces fever
Children and teenagers who have or are recovering from chicken pox or flu-like symptoms should not use this product. When using this product, if changes in behavior with nausea and vomiting occur, consult a doctor because these symptoms could be an early sign of Reye's syndrome, a rare but serious illness.
Aspirin may cause a severe allergic reaction which may include:
- facial swelling
- asthma (wheezing)
This product contains an NSAID, which may cause severe stomach bleeding. The chance is higher if you
- are age 60 or older
- have had stomach ulcers or bleeding problems
- take a blood thinning (anticoagulant) or steroid drug
- take other drugs containing prescription or nonprescription NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, or others)
- have 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day while using this product
- take more or for a longer time than directed
If sore throat is severe, persists for more than 2 days, is accompanied or followed by fever, headache, rash, nausea, or vomiting, consult a doctor promptly.
Do not use to sedate children.
Do not use
- if you are allergic to aspirin or any other pain reliever/fever reducer
- if you are now taking a prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (certain drugs for depression, psychiatric, or emotional conditions, or Parkinson's disease), or for 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you do not know if your prescription drug contains an MAOI, ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking this product.
- if you have ever had an allergic reaction to this product or any of its ingredients
- in children under 12 years of age
- stomach bleeding warning applies to you
- you have a history of stomach problems, such as heartburn
- you have high blood pressure, heart disease, liver cirrhosis, or kidney disease
- you are taking a diuretic
- you have
- thyroid disease
- cough with excessive phlegm (mucus)
- a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis
- difficulty in urination due to enlargement of the prostate gland
- persistent or chronic cough such as occurs with smoking, asthma, or emphysema
- a sodium-restricted diet
- taking a prescription drug for
- taking sedatives or tranquilizers
- do not exceed recommended dosage
- may cause marked drowsiness
- avoid alcoholic drinks
- excitability may occur, especially in children
- alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness
- be careful when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery
- an allergic reaction occurs. Seek medical help right away.
- you experience any of the following signs of stomach bleeding
- feel faint
- vomit blood
- have bloody or black stools
- have stomach pain that does not get better
- pain, cough, or nasal congestion gets worse or lasts more than 7 days
- fever gets worse or lasts more than 3 days
- redness or swelling is present
- new symptoms occur
- ringing in the ears or a loss of hearing occurs
- cough comes back or occurs with rash or headache that lasts. These could be signs of a serious condition.
- nervousness, dizziness, or sleeplessness occurs
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
It is especially important not to use aspirin during the last 3 months of pregnancy unless definitely directed to do so by a doctor because it may cause problems in the unborn child or complications during delivery.
Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
- adults and children 12 years and over: take 2 tablets fully dissolved in 4 oz of water every 4 hours. Do not exceed 8 tablets in 24 hours or as directed by a doctor.
- children under 12 years: do not use
- each tablet contains: sodium 415 mg
- Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine 9 mg Per Tablet
- store at room temperature. Avoid excessive heat.
acesulfame potassium, anhydrous citric acid, aspartame, calcium silicate, dimethylpolysiloxane, docusate sodium, FD&C red #40, flavors, mannitol, povidone, sodium benzoate, sodium bicarbonate
1-800-986-0369 (Mon - Fri 9AM - 5PM EST) or www.alkaseltzerplus.com
BONUS 30% MORE
26 TABLETS FOR THE PRICE OF 20
(NSAID) / Pain reliever-fever
reducer • Chlorpheniramine maleate /
Antihistamine • Dextromethorphan hydrobromide /
Cough suppressant • Phenylephrine bitartrate /
Cough • Nasal Congestion
Runny Nose • Headache &
Body Ache • Sinus Pressure
26 EFFERVESCENT TABLETS
|ALKA-SELTZER PLUS COLD AND COUGH FORMULA
aspirin, chlorpheniramine maleate, dextromethorphan hydrobromide, and phenylephrine bitartrate tablet, effervescent
|Labeler - Bayer HealthCare LLC. (112117283)|