Dosage form: enema
Ingredients: MINERAL OIL 118mL in 118mL
Labeler: Medline Industries, Inc.
NDC Code: 53329-008
Disclaimer: Most OTC drugs are not reviewed and approved by FDA, however they may be marketed if they comply with applicable regulations and policies. FDA has not evaluated whether this product complies.
Mineral Oil USP
- for relief of fecal impaction or occasional constipation, without straining or irritating the mucosa of the bowel, by lubricating and softening the stool
- generally produces bowel movement in 2 to 15 minutes.
- for cleansing the bowel and removal of residue after barium enema administration.
Dosage warning: Using more than one enema in 24 hours can be harmful.
CAUTION: FOR RECTAL USE ONLY.
- have nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
- have sudden change in bowel habits lasting more than 2 weeks
- have already used a laxative for more than 1 week
are taking any other drug. Take this product two or more hours before or after other drugs. Laxatives may affect how other drugs work.
Serious side effects may occur from excess dosage.
- have rectal bleeding
- have no bowel movement after the enema is given
These symptoms may indicate a serious condition.
ask a health professional before use.
If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
Remove green protective shield before inserting: hold bottle upright, grasping bottle cap with fingers. Grasp protective shield with other hand and pull gently to remove.
Do not use more unless directed by a doctor. See Warnings.
|adults & children 12 years and older||one bottle once daily|
|children 2 to under 12 years||½ bottle once daily|
|children under 2 years||do not use|
Left-side position: lie on left side with knee bent and arms at rest.
Knee-chest position: kneel, then lower head and chest forward until left side of face is resting on surface. Position arms comfortably.
- With steady pressure, gently insert enema tip into rectum with a slight side-to-side movement, with tip pointing toward navel. Insertion may be easier if person receiving enema bears down, as if having a bowel movement. This helps relax the muscles around the anus.
- Do not force the enema tip into the rectum as this can cause injury.
- Squeeze bottle until nearly all liquid is gone. It is not necessary to empty the bottle completely, as it contains more liquid than needed.
- Remove enema tip from rectum
- Retain enema in accordance with doctor’s instructions
Follow with a cleansing enema: To remove stools or other residue now softened or lubricated, it is suggested that you use a regular enema to cleanse the bowel.
- bottle, cap and shield are latex-free.
- Consult Physicians’ Desk Reference® for complete professional labeling.
mineral oil enema
|Labeler - Medline Industries, Inc. (025460908)|
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.