Tips for Keeping Your Child Healthy at Camp
MONDAY, June 17, 2019 -- With thousands of kids heading to camp for the summer, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has some tips for keeping them safe and happy.
In a new report, the group recommends that all children have a checkup before leaving for camp.
Parents should also know what health services the camp has and talk with camp officials about any health issues concerning their child.
- Make sure your kids are up to date on required vaccinations.
- Teach your children how to use any medical equipment they need, such as inhalers and epinephrine injectors.
- Be sure the camp has supplies of medications your child needs and that counselors are trained to act in an emergency.
- Verify that the camp has an automated external defibrillator (AED) on site, as well as a food allergy policy.
- Make electronic health records available to reduce errors.
Camps need to have people who can administer first aid and have a relationship with local emergency services, as well as dental and mental health specialists.
"Having a plan in place -- and making sure that staff are properly trained -- will help everyone feel more relaxed and eager to enjoy the experience," Dr. Michael Ambrose said in an academy news release. "A healthy camper is a happy camper."
Ambrose is lead author of the report produced by the AAP Council on School Health. It was published online June 17 in the journal Pediatrics.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: June 2019
Read this next
WEDNESDAY, Oct. 21, 2020 -- Dr. Anthony Fauci, the leading infectious disease expert in the United States, said on Wednesday he is "cautiously optimistic" that a COVID-19 vaccine...
TUESDAY, Oct. 20, 2020 -- Promoting any emerging COVID-19 vaccine to a skeptical public could be tough. But a new survey finds vaccine uptake might rise if the shot is promoted...
TUESDAY, Oct. 20, 2020 -- Seeking to slow the spread of coronavirus, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended on Monday that face masks be worn by everyone...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.