Heath Tip: Give Age-Appropriate Toys
-- Holiday toys should be age-appropriate and safe, to avoid injury.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these safety suggestions:
- Select toys that match the age, abilities, skills and interests of the child.
- For babies and toddlers, consider toys that build developmental skills.
- If you are considering a tablet, smartphone or game system, establish rules for using the device before it is given as a gift.
- Be careful if you give toys containing button batteries or magnets, which are choking hazards.
- To prevent electric shock, do not give children under the age of 10 a toy that must be plugged in.
- Do not give toys with small pieces to young children.
- Children under age 8 can choke or suffocate on uninflated balloons.
- Remove strangulation hazards such as tags, strings and ribbons from toys before giving them to young children.
- Read the warning label and instructions on any gift to your child before use.
Posted: December 2017