Heath Tip: Getting Rid of Head Lice
-- Head lice infections are common among school-age children, but with the proper treatment, you can get rid of both the bugs and their nits (eggs).
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests:
- Remove clothing before starting the treatment to prevent staining from the chemicals.
- Apply the treatment according to the product's label instructions. You may need to use two bottles if the infected person has a lot of hair.
- Do not shampoo before treatment or for 1 to 2 days after treatment.
- After application, comb remaining lice out of the hair shafts using a fine-toothed nit comb.
- Check hair after 8 to 12 hours and retreat if necessary.
- Re-check daily for at least a week to ensure there is not a reinfestation.
Posted: September 2017