Health Tip: Is Your Snack Fueling Drowsiness?
-- If you're frequently feeling tired, there are some foods that could be contributing to your drowsiness.
The National Sleep Foundation says these foods include:
- Cherries, which are rich in the hormone melatonin. Enjoy them as a bedtime snack instead of as a daytime treat.
- Carbohydrates, especially refined carbs such as white bread, cause a spike then drop in blood sugar, which can leave you feeling sleepy.
- Dark chocolate, which contains the amino acid serotonin, which is involved in the body's sleep-wake cycle.
- Lean proteins -- such as turkey, chicken, low-fat cheese and fish -- contain the amino acid tryptophan, which boosts levels of serotonin.
- Magnesium and potassium in bananas can promote muscle relaxation and a drowsy feeling.
Posted: June 2016
Recommended for you