Health Tip: Your Child Must Wear a Bike Helmet
-- A well-made bike helmet is as important to your child's safety as the bike's brakes or well-inflated tires.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers this advice about beginning the helmet habit at the earliest age possible:
- Make helmets a rule as soon as your child is on a bike, either as a passenger or the driver.
- Make sure you set a good example and wear a helmet, too.
- Explain to your child why it's important to wear a helmet, including the protection it provides.
- Talk about how a bike must be used safely and properly.
- Offer praise or a little treat when your child wears a helmet.
- Don't ever allow your child to go for a ride without a helmet.
- Encourage your child's playmates also to wear helmets.
Posted: August 2009
Recommended for you