Health Tip: Are You at Risk for Anemia?
-- Anemia occurs when there's not enough iron in your blood. While the condition can affect people of any age or gender, women of childbearing age are at greater risk, due to blood loss from menstruation.
The U.S. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute says common risk factors for anemia include:
- Eating a diet without sufficient vitamins, minerals or iron.
- Losing blood due to an injury or surgery.
- Having a chronic disease such as kidney disease, HIV/AIDS, inflammatory bowel disease, heart failure or liver disease.
- Having chronic infections.
- Having a family history of inherited forms of anemia.
Posted: September 2012
Recommended for you