Health Tip: Women Have Unique Nutrition Needs
-- Women have unique nutritional needs, especially during pregnancy and menopause.
Here's how a woman's diet should differ from that of a man, courtesy of the U.S. government's Office on Women's Health:
- Calories.Women typically need fewercalories because women naturally have less muscle, more body fat and are usually smaller.
- Vitamins and minerals.Calcium, iron and folic acid are important for women.
- Health issues.Women are more likely to have certain health problems, such asceliac diseaseandlactose intolerance.
- Metabolism.Women process some foods differently, and burn fewer calories during exercise and at rest than do men.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: April 2018
Read this next
THURSDAY, Oct. 1, 2020 -- As if the misery of hot flashes, night sweats and sleep troubles weren't enough, now new research suggests that women who routinely experience moderate...
WEDNESDAY, Sept. 30, 2020 -- A growing number of middle-aged women are turning to marijuana to help soothe symptoms of menopause, new research indicates. About one-third of older...
MONDAY, Sept. 28, 2020 -- It's often thought that older women lose interest in sex, but many women continue to rate sex as important, a new study finds. "In contrast to prior...
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.