Health Tip: Why Does My Heel Hurt?
-- Heel pain may stem from repetitive stress or another type of injury, but an underlying health problem also may be to blame.
The American Podiatric Medical Association says these conditions may lead to heel pain:
- Various forms of arthritis, including gout.
- Bursitis -- an inflammation of a fluid-filled sac called the bursa.
- Haglund's deformity, characterized by an enlarged bone toward the back of the heel.
- Inflammation of the Achilles tendon.
- A heel spur, bone bruise or stress fracture.
Posted: February 2011