Health Tip: Weight-Bearing Exercises Strengthen Bones
-- Getting plenty of calcium and vitamin D in your diet are great ways to ward off the bone-thinning disease osteoporosis. Weight-bearing exercises are another way to help maintain bone health.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons recommends these forms of weight-bearing exercise:
- Brisk walking, jogging or hiking.
- Strenuous yard work such as pushing a lawn mower, or active gardening.
- Sports such as soccer, basketball, baseball, tennis or racquetball.
- Climbing the stairs, step aerobics or dancing.
- Activities such as skiing, bowling, skating or karate.
- Use of free weights or weight machines.
Posted: March 2008
Recommended for you